Host Burn Out

Susan608
Level 3
Longs, SC

Host Burn Out

First let me say I love people and that's why I host. I don't live in a very popular place so can only get $30/night or less for my rooms. I'm finding I'm burning out after just short of two months - my sleep is constantly being broken up by 230am booking (from people in the same time zones), getting woken  up at 133am because there is a harmless bug in their room (they are from the state), getting woken up from guests locking themselves out of their room at 2am, getting woken up at 239 am for a cancellation  (person in the same time zone), people wantingn to chat about making a reservation at 2am (in same time zone, then don't end up booking), getting up by 7am for coffee (some guests don't know how to use a Keurig) or some just make a lot of noise and it wakes me, staying up for midnight check ins (first time travelers like to be greeted).  The bathroom is shared so I am constantly in and out of there making sure no one is leaving a mess behind for the other guests. Then there is the cleaning, running around making keys when guests accidentally take them home, shopping for supplies, etc.. Any suggestions on how to streamline things? I"m in the same house as them but I can't turn my phone off because I need to be reached buy current guests if they need something - lock out, bug killing, etc..

17 Replies 17
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

$30/night would burn me out before I even got started.

Susan608
Level 3
Longs, SC

Right? And they expect 5 star service. Last night got woken up at midnight because guest dislodged a/c from window! Always stupid stuff that they cause in the middle of the night. I  work - I'm a home health nurse and I have to go to my client at 8 am and I'm exhausted!

Susan

For the key sitatution, I recommend an electronic keypad lock. I got a Schlage from Lowe's (or other home improvement stores, and there are other brands). They allow a number of 4 digits codes programmed in. So both you and guests won't have to worry about keys. You wouldn't have to greet guests for late check in. You will have to take a moment to change the codes, but it's easy enough to do. Also for me was pretty easy to install (I had the same size holes). Also, like others have said, you need to let some of the other things go, like not responding in the middle of the night to inquiries, etc.