Host Burn out

Luke279
Level 6
Bristol, United Kingdom

Host Burn out

How does one manage the pressure and stress of being a host and expanding while trying to manage a home & social life? 

Any advice on how to manage properties but at the same time have time for yourself would be useful! 

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Luke279  Well, for starters, you have 8 listings- don't take on more listings than you can handle, that seems obvious to me. If you have no time for family and friends and down time, all that money you might be making might not be worth it.

Nor do you have to take back-to-back bookings, or one nighters. You can block a week or a few days from time to time to give yourself a much-needed break. It's up to every one to find a balance that makes them happy. That's true in all walks of life, not just hosting.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Sarah977 i don't think Luke has 8 listings but i think some listings are duplicated with room and whole apartment.

@Luke279 he can be difficult to manage both, i know personally my personal life been dead for the last few years especially at the beginning of doing Airbnb and believe me or not i was already on short let business, what changes were the instant and none stop communication from guest, they need to be reassured at each step, even after sending details info.

My 1st advice is to write down what takes most of ur time (communication, cleaning, explaining how to use diff appliances etc... and from then, register with Channel Manager which will cut the level of communication, and take pictures and make a video of each appliance how to use them or switches them on.

Few days before guests arrival send them an email with video and pics to read and check in case they have any issue and also create a Guest book/Manuel with pics on diff things guests found difficult to set or understand. For example Storage Heater ( pictures of ON/ and a full description of how they work), Boiler etc.

With a Channel Manager, you will cut a big chunk of time already so u can have ur life back slowly

And it is important to have a good cleaner and a create a Bonus scheme for any good 5 stars on Cleaning, and any feedback from guests send it to cleaner also

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Luke279 I find the onset of winter does the trick!