Sex !!! :0

Ruby1
Level 2
Portland, OR

Sex !!! :0

I have 3 rooms in the upper area of my house tht are rented separately (usuallly) and I have had complaints from guests about other guests having sex ! Oh jeez,,, what to do about this? I have previously forbidden guests from bringing in visitors not reserved throu airbnb, i.e.; friends in town or someone they've met at the bar that night (ugh). Just throwing this out there... its a sticky one!!

5 Replies 5
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

I'll say! Noisy guests are a particular problem where you're renting a room vs an entire house. I'll let the veteran hosts who rent rooms give you more advice, but my first blush (sorry!) reaction would be to put something in their review to the effect that they need to lower the volume of their nightly activities so as not to bother other guests.  If the offending parties are still at your place, I would just be blunt and tell them their lovemaking is ruining the other guests' stay and cut it out!

Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

Precisely to avoid that type of problem, some hosts who have more than one guest at a time, will only allow one person to occupy each room -- that is to say, the rooms are single occupancy, guests may book for one person only, not two or more, and no guest may bring any visitor over at any time.  This is the best solution to that problem in the sense that it does the most to reduce the likelihood of problems --  but it may not be ideal for you if you like to host couples or friends who share a room.  I think trying to come up with "rules" about noises during intimate times, is very difficult.  Such rules are difficult to articulate, and would be more likely than many other rules to be broken, perhaps unintentionally.  

Stressing that your place is "family-friendly" might put off those looking for a quickie! (Or a noisy quickie). You could also say something about noise carrying easily in the environment and for the comfort of all guests, "keeping voices low" after 10 PM (or even earlier) is necessary for everyone's comfort. You could also warn that since noise carries so much, disruptive guests will be asked to leave. 

Cesar0
Level 3
Phoenix, AZ

Sex is a basic human instinct.  It's at the core of everthing that we do. Your guests will have sex.  There is no avoiding it.  I have two shared rooms in my house and host 4 guests at a time and each book seperately.  It's kind of set up like a hostel.  I've had situations where guests meet, like each other and hook up.  I also have a private room with a queen bed and it get's booked by couples.  We can't very well tell them, "NO SEX" in the bed.  LOL.  Here is what I think is a good policy.  I do allow guests to have visitors in the common areas. However, in the bedroom area they are not allowed and no guests after 10pm.  Only paying guests are allowed in the bedrooms.   I do give a run down of the rules when the guests check in, just to make sure they know and give them a chance to ask questions about them. I haven't had anyone break them yet.  Purposefully I have "noise" right after the "no guests allowed in the bedroom areas."  I make sure to ask that there not be any audible noises from their rooms after 10pm as everone is sleeping.  

Giuliana142
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

Clearly it’s not about sex itself but about the kind of people who are booking our rooms for an act that they can’t get away with at their own home or in public. I am against people using my home for prostitution, dragging in non-registered non-paying “friends” to get drunk and f**k. What if the second person is a minor? How about rape? Does that make me part of a crime scene? I am not a hotel/motel where you can do just anything you want. That’s not why I am a host. I don’t believe folks sign up to be hosts to welcome one night stands.

So you see, there is a difference between  using your home for sex, drugs and alcohol abuse, or decent people. If a person meets someone at a bar they should be booking a hotel. 

Glad you brought this up because as a host it’s your place, you make the rules, and you do not need to accept low lives. Not a sticky situation at all. As a host you are not protected enough to take in garbage.