Host Service Fee Increase (8.5%)

Bryan12
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Host Service Fee Increase (8.5%)

I have been on the airbnb platform many years and I have historically received reservation requests with a 3% service fee applicable. I have just noticed that reservation inquiries are now coming in with an 8.5% service fee. My last inquiry is as such:

Payment
Accommodation$11,198
Subtotal$11,198
Service fee-$951
You earn$10,247

This amounts to an 8.5% service.. What is this? I can find no reference to such a high fee for hosts anywhere in the online documentation.

Bryan

12 Replies 12
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

I agree that this 8.5% service fee doesn't make any sense, but without further explanation, that's not the only thing that doesn't make sense. You've got an $11,198 booking for a listing that (after discounts), rents for $1300 or so a month. (You have two listings and didn't mention which one you were talking about.) So, you're writing about a single 7-9 month booking? Is that really the case?

If that IS the case, then I suggest two possibilities:  1) AirBnB's calculations just go nuts after some duration shorter than 9 months, or  2) there's more to this than meets the eye. Can you provide any more details here? Have you received any prior communications from AirBnB that might shed some light? Perhaps the single large charge bumped you (with or w/o cause) into some higher "commercial" category for which they charge higher fees (and permit far more strict cancellation policies).

When you figure this out, I hope you'll follow up back here so that other hosts might benefit from the information. Thanks!

@Dede0 You're right, we need more details here.  It would only make sense if this is what the guest was charged as the Airbnb fee (6%-12%) is actually reduced as the reservation cost goes up.  

Ian35
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

I agree

I have seen a doubling in service fee without an obvious notification

I have dumped trip advisor because their fees far exceed the service they provide.

I have never encouraged a traveller to make direct contact with me - as I believe the fee charged by Airbnb was reasonable remuneration for the service they provide. I believe many hosts would have thought similarly.

This may change for many of us if the success of this platform leads to the same short-term profit gouging that has occurred with many other - low service/low cost data base drive platform

If this site is doubling its fee…. what service to us is it doubling?

Airbnb has been a phenomenon.

Hosts who feel abused with depart to other platforms

If its financial success makes Airbnb's decision makers, giddy with the belieff they have the right to pillage (in the name of "increased return to shareholder" and personal bonuses), as do other multi-national executives, the grass root support of its hosts will be lost.

Hear hear!

on my accomodation AirBnB is taking 15% from the host and 3% from me = so 18%

Untitled.jpg

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Bryan12 I just checked, my guests pay 13% and I pay 3%

As a host I've noticed a much larger cut coming out of my reservations, with no explanation. Definitely more than the historical 3%. I can't pinpoint it because I only first noticed when my payout was recently an uneven dollar amount (e.g. $2634.33), when I have never had an and-change payout amount. I'm not sure why they would just sneak this in without an announcement. Stupid move.

Tinatini0
Level 2
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hi, I've just noticed that service fee increased from 3 % to 8%, but now i see that it was increased for other hosts time to time. they are e-mailing us on everything and they didn't even send prior notice on this... I want to know based on what circumstances is service fee increased and why is the different number for some of us..

Rick126
Level 1
Highland charter Township, MI

Yep, Airbnb must be raising service fees... they hold us hostage by controlling the market and then raise rates at will.  Someone needs to knock them off their pedistal!

Agree 13% is too high. But what do we do about it?

Rebecca414
Level 2
Bogart, GA

Have Airbnb service fees increased AGAIN? Is there an area on the Airbnb platform where we can find a consistent breakdown of fees charged?   

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya @Rebecca414 ,

This thread is from 2017 - for the latest information on Airbnb fees, please refer to this article: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/1857/what-is-the-airbnb-service-fee

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines