Hosting a Refugee

Mark335
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Hosting a Refugee

How can I change my listing to reflect that it is free to refugees?

Is it possible to make it free?   Or does airbnb pay me when they book?   how does this work?!?!

Thanks!

13 Replies 13
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am not sure how you do it through BNB or indeed that refugees would know to look on BNB for accommodation. BNB as far as I know  have teamed up with a couple of partner charities to support them and work with hosts in Greece and Turkey to offer free accommodation for volunteers rather than for refugees.

Why not contact your local refugee organisations and see how you can help.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I do not think this applies to Hosts in the US, seems to be about people wishing to seek refuge in the US who can not. Must be millions in that category.

You should not need to advertise, AirBnB will be covering the cost, presumably they will have some vetting system and price cap.

Makes you wonder if they have thought it through.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You are right @David126 Sorry @Mark335 I was being too eurocentric.

Mike235
Level 1
Bethlehem, PA

With my home on the East Coast US away from major cities, I doubt my house is useful for refugees. But, if it can be, I will gladly open up my doors to refugee families!

Same thought from a host (me) in north central Ohio. 

Kirstie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mark335,

That's great to hear you're willing to volunteer to offer your listing to refugees!

There is a thread all about that here with useful links and discussion that you may want to have a look at and maybe participate in. You will find that some of your questions are already answered there, but do ask on that thread if there's anything else!

Kirstie

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Kirstie  The problem is if you go on the Airbnb charity website to register there is no information about the scheme Brian has been touting all over the media and social media.

Why announce the scheme publicly without having information available for hosts wanting to sign up on the charity website?

the only information there is about the scheme where hosts rather than Airbnb provide free accommodation 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

**[Comment removed in line with Community Center Guidelines and the Airbnb Nondiscrimination Policy]

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh please @Pete69 

Clearly that's the role of those who clear refugees  for entry. 

**[Comment removed in line with Community Center Guidelines and the Airbnb Nondiscrimination Policy]

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry @Pete69  you are just making yourself look rather silly 

I don't read anyone's minds - if you have found a way of doing so I'm sure you'd make a fortune.

from your past posts it's seems highly unlikely you would want to help those fleeing the horrors of what is happening in Afghanistan. 

I can only think you're posting here to try and indulge in cheap political point scoring.