House Rules for Instant Booking and Declining the Booking

Maria913
Level 2
Brampton, Canada

House Rules for Instant Booking and Declining the Booking

I wanted to get feedback on Instant Booking and House Rules.

Our Instant Book message includes:

"Please message us back within 24 hours of your booking that you have read and agreed to all House Rules ..."

We want to be able to decline Instant Bookings if they do not message us back as there may be intent or unawareness that a House Rule may be broken, particularly the limit on number of visitors/guests as it is quite a large house, and we get a lot of requests for 30+ parties or events.

Here are our House Rules:

6 overnight guests maximum.

Events have a limit of 12 people, including the overnight guests and all visitors.

The guest that books must have verified their ID with AirBnB.

Every instant booked guest must message us that they have read and agreed to all House Rules within 24 hours of their booking, or their booking shall be declined.

No outdoor shoes to be worn in the house.

Turn off all electronics, appliances and lights when not in use, and when you are leaving the house.

Smoking or vaping inside the house or garage or outside on the property is not permitted.

No illegal drugs or underage drinking.

Do not stain the bedding, pillows, or towels from food, hair dye, drinks, makeup etc. We have makeup removal pads and face wipes.

The booking guest is responsible for ensuring that all visitors adhere to these rules. Any damages shall be the responsibility of the booking guest. Please inform us of any breakages or damages so that we can work out an equitable compensation.

Leave the house tidy and in a respectable order prior to your check-out.

Check-out time is by 11am.

You must be responsible, honest, and mature.

Let us know if anything can be done to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable!

Thank you. We really do appreciate your consideration!

10 Replies 10
Janice68
Level 4
Winston-Salem, NC

I turned instant booking off, because Airbnb does not give you the opportunity to immediately (or within a specified time frame) decline a booking for any reason whatsoever. I am glad I did. At the very least, I want to review a person before I accept him/her into my home. I don't find anything wrong with your house rules. You are simply asking for respect to your property. 

Can you not cancel an Instant Booking without penalty if you do not feel comfortable with the booking or if there is awareness that a House Rule will be broken?

I should add that these rules are for a new listing that we are co-hosting.

Ric11
Level 4
Salford, United Kingdom

Yes you can cancel instant book reservations penalty free if you do not feel comfortable with a booking or you believe a house rule could be broken. House rules seem fine however having them message you to confirm they have read the house rules seems a little pointless as you have to confirm you have read them when actually booking.  

I only know this as I have booked to stay at someone else's previously. If the guest doesn't confirm they have read the house rules then they are unable to book. 

There is one of your rules I would disagree with, vaping. Seeing as it's doesn't leave a disgusting smell, and there is no ash or cig butts from vaping, then I am not sure why you would not allow this on the property. Obviously your choice but from my point of view, I don't see any issue with it. 

Thanks Ric

@Ric11 a guest must click a button that SAYS they read the rules, but you may click the button without ever opening the dialogue box where the rules are listed. So, if as a host you want to know that the rules have actually been read, then the guest clicking that box may not accomplish that for you

I do not allow camping. It is not regulated and you don't really know what you are inhaling. No smoking of any kind, no open flame

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

I agree with other responder.  They have to agree to your house rules before they can use instant booking.  So while it might be an extra comfort for them to confirm this to you, it should be unnecessary.  And Airbnb does allow you to cancel I think it is 3 instant bookings per year before it effects your superhost status.

Ric11
Level 4
Salford, United Kingdom

Hi, 

Please have a look at the help section on AirBnB 

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/2022/how-do-penalty-free-cancellations-work-for-instant-book-h...

It's states unlimited. 

@Ric11 the policy says unlimited, but the finer print should say "Customer Service may cancel for you as many IB reservations as they agree with you are a problem". As a host you may self-cancel up to 3 IB reservations within 12 months, after that you are forced to either host the guest or ask CS to cancel for you.

I will follow @Kelly149 interpretation to be cautious.