How can I fix what is not broken!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

How can I fix what is not broken!

Here we go again. 

I thought I had this covered by my explanation page of how Airbnb reviews work in my house rules folder, and for the last 50 reviews it has worked ok but, last nights guests obviously didn't open the house rules folder and this is what I got.....

Susan review.png

So, tonight my stats have taken a minor dive, I am back down to 92%. 

Airbnb, what did I do wrong here? Give me something, point to anything out of this review that I can work on to make this up to your standard!

If I didn't cop reviews like this (perfect except for that overall star) I would be sitting on 98%! I struggle to comprehend why doing my best, and being seen to be doing my best in the guests eyes is not good enough in the eyes of Airbnb......why is that?

If I need to fix something, I will fix it, but will someone in the organisation tell me why I am penalised for doing everything right!

We hosts do seriously travel a hard Airbnb road.

We are told to accept annonymous guests.

We are told to lower our prices for these guests.

Our guests are instructed to expect excellence at the cheapest price in town.

And we are penalised for doing everything right and by the book.

Surely sooner or later someone has to take notice of this!

Rant over!

Cheers......Rob

45 Replies 45

@Robin4  As always well said 😊.

You take care of yourself and your family💛

@Robin4 

2017 we had 'Select', 2018 we had 'Plus' and now 2019 we have 'Luxe' .....watch this space!

Ironically, as Airbnb heighten expectations of these titles their reviews MUST downgrade proportionately. Thus a 'Luxe' listing attaining its title description can only be described as "About the same as I expected" - (obviousy, because that (LUXE) IS the expectation!) = In Airbnb ratings = BAD !

Do these listings share the same review process and... Do these owners claiming the heightened desireability charge more as a result of their efforts like they should? IMO... Not that I have seen!

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  @Cormac0 

You'll enjoy this... meeting - or even exceeding - expectations, doesn't really cut it! We need to be creating 'a mindf*ck experience' for our guests. (Mr Chesky's words, in this instance, not mine...)

https://medium.com/@reidhoffman/how-to-scale-a-magical-experience-4-lessons-from-airbnbs-brian-chesk...

@Susan17 

I didn't get to lesson 2 where 'a mindf*ck experience' happens because I had to laugh at lesson 1, here's why:

We’d find out ‘Hey, I don’t feel comfortable with the guest. I don’t know who they are.’ Well what if we had profiles? ‘Great!’ Well what do you want in your profile? ‘Well I want a photo.’ Great.....

LMAO !!

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

Lol! They call it the 'epic narrative', or the 'epic meaning & calling', in gamification circles, Ian. 

'When your system or product demonstrates deep and sincere passion towards a higher vision, others will want to believe in you and be on the journey with you, even if it means foregoing financial compensation (which is our Left-Brain Core Drive #4 – Ownership & Possession)'

@Susan17 

Isn't that just "crowdfunding" with no pay back? Lol.

I would love this... and especially not paying for it :

"We said, ‘Ricardo, we want to create the perfect trip to San Francisco for you.’ We fly him back. We had the team storyboard the perfect experience for Airbnb. We had a driver pick him up at the airport. We took him to the perfect Airbnb. He went to these dinner parties. We got him the best seats at restaurants. We took him on this midnight mystery bike tour.

...He starts crying. He breaks down. He says, ‘Thank you. This is the best trip I’ve ever had."

I've enjoyed hosting like that at no cost, or very low cost or just Random acts of kindness and the experience is monumental. Some people would still be unapreciative. Back in the real world where bills need paying and time is scarce  there's people who already do this for a living called Travel Agents.

Hey look! We invented another wheel!

Unfortunately, as @Robin4 points out the gearbox driving this new wheel needs the serious attention of an experienced wheeltapper. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeltapper

Ha! That just dredged up a distant memory from the dark recesses of my mind, of a TV show my grandad used to watch when I was little... I think it was called "The Wheeltappers and Shunters Association", or some such thing... 🙂

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

A very good observation Ian, who knows.....possibly over time we may see some comments from hosts who are using Luxe with a review analysis.....but I doubt it! I think Luxe hosts will consider they have more important things to do than contribute to the community.

We have seen very little here on the CC in a positive nature about Plus, so we can only assume that your observations will turn out to be  correct and it will be even harder for Luxe hosts to achieve an acceptable Airbnb rating.

Having not been involved in any of these programs I cannot make a comment about the review process! Perhaps someone here using plus either as a host or a guest can give us a run-down on how the proccess might differ from what we mere mortals have to go through!

Good comment Ian!

Cheers......Rob 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Robin4. Everyone knows the process is extremely flawed, but until Airbnb takes host’s seriously and does the maths: 5 stars for all categories equals five stars, not a four.....

So then let them know they got it wrong... and just breathe............🙂🌻🌻🌻🌻08A99585-E86B-4238-ABCC-44AC5E645875.jpeg

@Robin4 

"How can I fix what is not broken!"

Definition of catch-22
1 : a problematic situation for which the only solution is denied by a circumstance inherent in the problem or by a rule.
2a : an illogical, unreasonable, or senseless situation
b : a measure or policy whose effect is the opposite of what was intended
c : a situation presenting two equally undesirable alternatives
3 : a hidden difficulty or means of entrapment
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ange2 

Hey, care to run that past me again....:-)) A bit late in the night for me to get my head around that.

Tell you what though Ange, it looks bloody great!!

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4    Catch-22  is  a satirical novel  written by Joseph Heller, set in WWII .

The novel is about the experiences of Airmen who attempt to maintain their sanity while fulfilling their service requirements.

@Ange2 

...and an excellent read, it is too 🙂

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Robin4 Nothing to say much, so let me give you a hug.

I once did message Airbnb team and they just copy & paste answer say I already got ton of good reviews... so keep up.

cheer

Nutth

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Robin4 

The only way to describe what Airbnb has become is  Kafka-esque.

its a tyranny without a tyrant or is it, the  bureaucracy and convoluted system have become self  perpetuating and nobody at Airbnb has called a halt to the abject nonsense you described Robin.