How could it be so troublesome to change a booking

Joy298
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

How could it be so troublesome to change a booking

Hi all,

Sorry for my rant. I've just started hosting for 2 months. However I'm really shocked by the low efficiency of ABB customer service.

A guest booked 1 but 2 appeared. It's fine I can accommodate them, however, when I tried to change the booking from 1 person to 2 people(in order not to void host guarantee and my own insurance policy), the system did not allow me to do so as "the reservation has started". The guest apologized and tried to change from his side but only got the same error code.

Then I called C/S 3 times, each rep said he has escalated the case and someone would call me back ASAP. So far it has been 4+ hours and nothing happened at all.

I assume dealing with reservations should be the very basic capacity of any hospitality industry. So how could ABB with over 6 million listings going on with such ridiculous inefficiency? Is it usual or I'm just being unlucky this time?

4 Replies 4
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Joy298 

is your price the same for 1 and for 2 guests?

If it is then just leave it as it is and write a message to your guest via message thread: " just to confirm you arrived with another person and she/he will stay with you in the apartment/room"

If you have an additional charge for the second guest then use resolution center "send or receive money" . He has to accept it and the payment will go through.

Thanks @Branka-and-Silvia0 

I don't charge extra for this situation, but the problem is I'm paying for an extra insurance policy which requires the number of guests staying in my place to be the same as they booked(which I believe ABB host guarantee has the same requirement). So if there's any accidental damage or liability happened, my cover is totally voided. I just don't think this any reasonable.

Michelle-And-Michael0
Level 10
Wollongong, Australia

@Joy298  I'm as baffled as you are.... but I think it might be common. 

We had the same situation happen to us recently. We were expecting 1 guest to arrive, and 2 turned up. We don't charge extra for a 2nd guest, but I wanted to change the booking so that the 2nd guest was registered with Airbnb. 

Like you, both the guest and I tried changing the booking details, but it wouldn't accept as the booking had already started.... so I too, phoned Airbnb Sydney directly..... and, They couldn't change it either!!!  

The support person I was talking to referred it to their 'manager' and they said that 'they'd made a note' that a 2nd guest was staying. Not very professional in my opinion either! 

I do like what @Branka-and-Silvia0  suggested about getting confirmation from the guest via the message thread though..... I'll do that next time! 

Hi @Michelle-And-Michael0 , thanks for your input. Finally I have the booking changed by a senior rep after 24hr+ waiting.

On the first night, I made 3 calls and waited for 4+ hrs but nothing solved. Each rep promised I would get someone call me back asap. Then on the 2nd night, after 24hrs' waiting, I finally exploded. I made the 4th call and shouted at the rep. I know it's bad to scold anyone irrelevant but I was really pissed off. Then she transferred me to a senior rep in no time and the problem got solved immediately.

LOL so obviously they escalate your case depends regarding how furious you are.