How do I add a non refundable pet fee to my listing?

How do I add a non refundable pet fee to my listing?

6 Replies 6
Mary117
Level 1
Livingston, MT

I would like to know, also, how to apply a non-refundable pet fee. Someone? Anyone?

AirBnB is pretty bad about special pricing.  We have a surcharge for 1-night stays, but the only way to do that is this (would work the same for pet fee):

1) Put a note such as "*** If you bring a pet, there is a non-refundable $50 additional fee ***" at the top of your Description to put guests on notice.

2) When a guest messages, confirm with them that they accept the $50 fee.

3) If they are inquiring and haven't booked yet, extend them a special rate that includes the $50 (e.g. if they book for 3 nights at $90 per night, extend a special rate of 3 x 90 + 50 = $320.

4) If they've already booked, you need to cancel the booking, then extend them a special rate.  When cancelling, write a note that says that you're only cancelling to change the rate, and will send them a new rate for approval in a few minutes, so they don't panic and think you're cancelling on them.

IMHO this is way cumbersome, but only way I've found to do it.

@Susan162

Cancelling a booking will block the days and make rebooking impossible.

@Sid-and-Lynne0's suggestion used to work in the past, but for a while now there have been a multitude of hosts who have found out the hard way that the booking system doesn't allow for simple cancellation and special offer  anymor e.

In no circumstances should you cancel as has been suggested as the dates will be blocked in your diary and you will also be penalised. Send a special offer once you have had the email exchange where they know that $50 will be added to the pricing, and they have agreed this. Make sure your special offer is your total price (excl AirBnB fees) including cleaning, new pet fee. Then make sure you guest understands that they need to accept the offer for it to be valid.

My apologies to Susan, I said "Cancel" when I meant "Decline".  There are no penalties for declining as long as it is within 24 hours of the request.  See here:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/360/can-i-decline-booking-inquires-or-reservation-requests.  In fact AirBnB discusses declining followed by a special offer.

This technique works fine currently, we used it 2 weeks ago and then again 2 days ago.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Fabulous idea! Let's hope Air picks up on it.