How do you approach keys?

Lauren2299
Level 2
Decatur, IL

How do you approach keys?

Hi, All! 

I have a little bit of a missing key situation from a guest that is currently staying with me, and I'm looking for advice. For reference, I rent a single bedroom in my apartment, which is part of a 2 apartment building. The enterence to the apartment is an indoor foyer, and the main door locks (think of it as one house with 2 apartments inside). 

My old policy was that when I had a guest over, they were given an outdoor key for the main building, and I would keep the inner door to the apartment unlocked. That way, the only people that would have access to my apartment would be myself, the guest, the downstairs neighbor (I've never had a problem, we get along well) and maintenence for the building. This has worked great for people who are just staying the night and don't need a key. 

My current guest is slated to stay until December 20th. However, he is currently staying somewhere else but is holding onto the key until the end of his stay (this seems weird to me, but I'm working with AirBnb directly on this) However, I, naively, gave him keys to my apartment as well as the main door. 

A month is a long time to hold onto keys and not use them, so I'm assuming they won't be returned. My question is, should I go back to my original policy and just leave the door open? That way, I had control of who could lock the door? I always encouraged guests to lock up at night and showed them how to unlock the door in the morning using the deadbolt, and I would never be locked out. Is this a reasonable accomodation? 

Love to get your thoughts. Been AirBnbing since the beginning of the year and love it so far. 

Light and Love

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It seems you are trying to fit a guest into your usual way of living, rather than seeing the listing from the guest experience at least as regards to your key situation.  The guest doesn't have the relationship with your neighbor so being able to lock your front door might feel at bit more secure.  Ironically, you had guest key issues with one of your hosts a couple of years ago, so not having a room door lock (except the interior bolt lock) along with the unlocked front door could be concerning.  

It seems that this particular guest has booked for a long time but is not using the space except maybe to store his stuff.  Still he needs full access to the space.  So what is the question?  Why do believe he won't return the keys?

Thanks for your response! 

Just to clarify, he does also have a lock on his bedroom door, so he's secure. I do see how he doesnt have access to the relationship that I have with my neighbor  

Without getting into too many of the details because he's an active case with AirBnb, this guest is asking for a full refund because he didnt like the room. He came 2 days late, brought an extra guest, and has no stuff in the room. I said he needs to follow the cancellation policy and bring the keys back, but he said since he is still in town he wants to keep the keys, but also wants a refund. Its very odd overall. I have a feeling that the keys are being held until a refund is given, though he isnt specifically saying that. It's been 3 days since his checkin and he hasn't been back.