How do you claim additional cleaning costs from a security deposit?

Keith-And-Jane0
Level 1
United States

How do you claim additional cleaning costs from a security deposit?

i

I have just been to our cottage to clean after a guest has left and it was left very dirty and there were a lot of stains on walls that Ive had to just repaint as I couldnt remover them and some additional laundry costs.  The place appeared to be left without any attempts to even give a basic clean.  We do ask that the cottage is left clean and tidy as they find it.  It took more than double my normal cleaning and then the laundry costs so I wanted to claim a contribution to cover this.  We don't charge a cleaning charge but do say that we do ask for this from the security deposit if it is not left clean and tidy.  I cant see anywhere on the section about security deposits to find out how to get this charge of an additional £25 to be taken.  I have requested the payment from the guest as this seemed the only option.  Does anyone have any advice if this is the right thing to do?  I havent heard back from the guest yet!

1 Reply 1
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

The Security Deposit is not really a Deposit and I have yet to see anybody recover cleaning costs, let us know how you get on.

If the Guest agrees great.

David