How to avoid unwillingly hosting a party-- tips, red flags, etc

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

How to avoid unwillingly hosting a party-- tips, red flags, etc

I am posting this because there have been some truly mind boggling party threads with hosts left holding the bags while guests are free to re-book with others and impugn with bad reviews. Until Airbnb does something about this, maybe we can share knowledge about what to look for and things to do to avoid this happening in our listings. I know there is no way to really 100% guarantee that, but I wanted to reach out to the community and see what knowledge we can all impart to one another. 

So here are some things I have gleaned and/or implemented that seem to help:

1. 2 night minimum stay

2. On site cameras (Ring doorbell, outdoor cameras on the entrances to our house.)

3. Neighbors who will alert you to anything odd happening

4. When guests book, reiterating what we define as a "a party" as well as our extra guest fees and procedures as well as house rules

("Thank you for booking! Due to the tragic happenings during an unauthorized party at an Airbnb in California, we have implemented some additional safety procedures for guests. These include a zero tolerance party policy at our cottage. We define a "party" as a get together with guests who are not authorized on the reservation. Any violation of this will include the cancellation of the booking, extra charges for cleaning and damage repair and reporting to Airbnb." Etc etc.)

5. In person check in for any reservations which seem "off" or informing the guests that we will be stopping by after they check in to bring by some goodies and greet them.

Curious to hear what others have done or found helpful.  Please share your tips!

20 Replies 20
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Elaine701  I have read some posts from hosts saying their listing was suspended because of just saying that parties might be allowed. 

I think your wording is great, but you might want to change the wording re no parties without permission to no unregistered guests or visitors without permission. The part about parties being against govt. restrictions is good, though.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Sarah977 

Thanks.

'Events" Is the term used in the host settings. We do allow "events" and have that tick box checked. And it's a good piece of business for us under normal circumstances. But only with express consent and observation.

So, I'm not sure why my listing might be suspended. We've always had that feature. 

I used the word "parties" because I think it's clearer to the average party animal.

Anyway, I've just sent it to my latest "no history" pending reservation that smells a bit dubious. We'll see how that goes. 

@Elaine701  I just remember a post here not too long ago, where a host said their listing was suspended because they had had to contact Airbnb about guests throwing an out of control party, and Airbnb suspended the listing because the host had said in their listing that they allowed parties and events with prior permission.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Sarah977 

Could be. Airbnb does behave erratically at times. 

I thought a friendly, but stern and clear warning might help scare off the party pirates, even if it's largely unenforceable. But they don't know that 🙂 

@Elaine701  

https://news.airbnb.com/airbnb-announces-global-party-ban/

What makes you think it’s unenforceable? We all have rights and responsibilities as hosts, to maintain a certain degree of control over what happens on and in our properties. And no, I’m not talking about telling guests how late they can stay up or whether they can drink alcoholic beverages or not. 

cc @Sarah977 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Colleen253 

How is it enforceable? Breaking house rules? What is the penalty to guests? A bad review is about all.  Hist guarantee's role appears to be to avoiding such claims wherever possible. And as we've recently experienced firsthand, the evidence and even a guilty plea from the guest is irrelevant. 

Yes, Airbnb announces a party ban. So what? What is the penalty to guests who violate it? 

And the police... Well, as I mentioned earlier, they'll just chalk it up to a domestic dispute and advise you to sue them. Interpreting contract violations is the role of the courts, not the police. 

True, by law, there is a ban on parties as a covid19 measure, but at least in this jurisdiction, the penalties fall on the property owner, not the guest. It's >our< problem to collect the fines from the offending guest. 

So, as others here have advised, I've concluded that the best cure is prevention. The best way to do that, is to deter prospective party pirates by forcing them to agree to clear and severe penalty terms which, while in any practical sense, may be unenforceable, but in the case of this particular character of guest, they aren't likely to know that. 

So, if the guests haven't a clue how unenforceable it all is, then if, after agreeing to those terms directly, they violate it anyway, then showing up to evict them shouldn't meet with much resistance. Although I wouldn't be surprised if Airbnb host cancellation penalties would still apply 😉 

Yes, prevention is the best cure.