How to clean after drug use in a property

JoAnna504
Level 1
Medford, OR

How to clean after drug use in a property

Well, we had the guest from he double hockey sticks.  So after having my entire weekend destroyed (as well as last night's sleep completely obliterated) by this guest and having to engage law enforcement, we find ourselves in a situation where a guest and her many unauthorized guests smoked either meth or heroin in our suite.  As a result we are needing to have some professional cleaning.  

Upon researching, it appears that limited meth consumption is water-soluble and thus a deep cleaning of the hard surfaces as well as professionally cleaning the carpets and mattress may be sufficient.  The alternate is getting a rehab contractor to do a hazmat cleaning of the suite.  What option would you go with?

Of course, we lost one booking due to the condition of the suite and have another one that may be impacted if we can't get it cleaned quickly enough.

5 Replies 5

@JoAnna504  Is the problem mostly with the lingering odor, or are there visible residues in your carpets and surfaces that can't be removed with regular cleaning?

If it's just odors, the deep cleaning of surfaces (and curtains, if you have them) should take care of it. But if the guests were abruptly evicted, there is the chance that some drugs or paraphernalia got left behind, so a thorough sweep of the property and its potential hiding places will be necessary before you host again.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I would get a cleaning company with experience of doing these sort of cleans and charge the cost back to the guest @JoAnna504 

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I suppose it would depend on the degree of damage/odour/debris left behind.  Do what you feel most comfortable with, as only you know the condition your home was left in.  Be sure to keep any receipts if you do hire cleaners, and submit them to the guest/escalate to AirBNB so you can hopefully be compensated.  I'm sorry that happened to you!  Good luck!

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@JoAnna504   I don't mean to be alarmist, but you should consider hiring someone who has experience with this kind of cleanup, especially since the drug Fentanyl has been introduced into the heroin-using community.  Fentanyl can be absorbed through the skin.   There are varied reports about how serious exposure is - some sites are very concerned, some say it's mostly myth. I would think a cleaning company that has experience with this could advise you better. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Be aware of needles. Yikes.