How to deal with odor

Tina64
Level 3
Seattle, WA

How to deal with odor

Hi everyone,

I'm a new host and I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion on dealing with odors that are left behind from guests. I've had a string of one nighters and am finding it challending to make the space fresh for the next guest. Note that I change all linens and clean the place entirely..but, still, smells linger. Has anyone come up with a good solution? I hate to rely on chemical products, such as freeze (which didn't solve the issue), but I'm not sure how to deal with this issue. I am already opening the windows and using a fan + air purifier. 

In particular, one couple left and I could smell the odor before I even opened the door to the space. I am not sure if it was the food they ate or something else. It was very disconcerting. A hint of the odor is still there even after 2 other people have come and gone. 

Thanks for your suggestions.

6 Replies 6
Abby8
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

I bought an ozone generator on Amazon. It kills the smell. You have to air out the room after you use it, but it works! Looks like a home made bomb but very effective.
Andrew139
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

febreeze works, and also if you have a day in between, use orange and lemon peels..literally lay them around the room in the carpet all over the space they will dry up and absorb the smells.
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Tina64 I also recommend an ozone generator. It will break down any odor causing molecules in the air or on surfaces. You don't want high levels of ozone around, so don't use it when people are present, and air out the room before returning.

Incense can also be used with an air filter. The carbon in the smoke will absorb odors in the air, and the air filter will trap the particles.

Geneviève9
Level 8
Montreal, Canada

Airing out and a bit of Febreeze does the trick for me during cleanup.  I also installed pluggeable air fresheners, but I feel like they have a tendency to smell too strong... I might try the ozone thingy, thanks for the tip!

Geneviève9
Level 8
Montreal, Canada

Anyone has a good ozone generator to recommend?