How to handle this situation

Charles307
Level 2
Westminster, CO

How to handle this situation

I don't know what has been going on lately! My guests had all be awesome until the past few weeks.  Two guests checked in today, they never responded to my request for the ETA but thankfully they arrived when we were home.  We have self-check in but I was unsure if they received the message as they just knocked on the door and didn't use the code I sent them.  They walked in and said "oh there’s a cat" in an angry voice and I said, don't worry the cat never goes in the room.  There is a picture of my cat on the posting along with a description of him.  Then when I showed them to their room they slammed the door and jammed the door stop under it as if to send us a message (also the door locks so I don't get it).  I am not sure what to do in this situation.  Any advice would be helpful.

10 Replies 10

@Charles307 I have no idea how they could be surprised by Sox the Cat, as Sox is featured in not just one, but two of your photos.

(BTW, your place looks amazing.)

I'm not sure what advice to provide other than to be the same gracious host to this guest as you are to all of your other happy guests. You have a lot of satisfied customers who have left a lot of great reviews. These guests appreciate you and your listing. Clearly you are doing something right.

If *this* guest doesn't appreciate your hospitality, that doesn't mean you should change.

It just means this guest has a poopy attitude.

They aren't staying long, are they?

@Matthew haha I forgot he was two of the photos.  These guests are staying for 5 days so longer than most people stay.  I'll keep focusing on the positive guests we had.  I think I'll also send messages to the guests throughout their stay to see if they need anything.  If they never respond maybe I can use that to fight a potentially poor review?

@Charles307 checking in on this guest sounds like a terrific idea!

Let them get all their complaining out *now*, before it is time to write a review.

And yes, if they say "everything is fine" when you ask them, I would think that would limit their ability to complain in any later review.

I don't know how much a "never respond" will help... they could always claim they never received your messages.

I am just hoping you can win them over with your natural hosting skills.

(But maybe keep Sox on the down low.)

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Sometimes @Charles307, the nicer you are the more abusive some people become, so perhaps best to put it on strict 'formal' mode, till further notice. But one thing I would do - accept the fact this guest may not work out at all, once you go there mentally it all gets a lot easier, or even increases the chance that it will work out.

Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Life is too short - offer full refund and move on ! They will then find on short notice everything is more expansive 🙂 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Unbelievable. Guests arrive, then slam the door on you in your own home. I would find it really difficult to be gracious and continue to allow these people to stay in my home. 

It be a toss up between you and I @Sarah977, which of us would throw them out first. Normally I would bet on myself, but maybe not in this case. 😉

So @Fred13 , would you boat them back or make them swim? 

Depends on their attitude. I am always so ready for 'door slammers' I think they sense it, and always behave.

Kristel5
Level 2
Severn, MD

Recommend you message them on the app asking they confirm the place meets their expectations. If they don’t respond or have complaints, you can consider canceling their reservation due to not being able to meet their needs and hope they find a place that is more accommodating. 

Dont let let them make you a hostage in this situation.