How to vet out a guest?

Cheri33
Level 2
Zion, IL

How to vet out a guest?

Help! I am new to BNB.  I live by a Navy base and thought it would be great for graduations.  This weekend I had a request from a recruit who wanted to get off base and chill for the night with his buddies.  I agreed as I so appreciate their service to our country, but I rent out my home when I travel. I don't want it used for hookups, which is what I found evidence of.  Suggestions for setting those boundaries and not have it impact my profile?  His profile just said verified.  I couldn't find any recommendations on or from him but I assumed I just didn't know how to look.  Help?

4 Replies 4
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cheri33

Hi - first thing is you really have no house rules. Think about incuding things like: no parties, no guests allowed on the property other than those registered with the host,  put in quiet hours are from 11pm to 7am (or similar)

Get rid of the mention of lock box as it shouts out that you are not around. Once you are happy with the booking then a couple of weeks before hand you can tell them how to get into the property.

Not sure how far away you live, but if it's within easy reach then try be there when guests are checking in - or mention in the property description that you live and work locally and are there to help.

Other than that you can use settings (if you use IB) to say only those recommended by other hosts, etc.

So really it's about the message you send out in you description - right now it's friendly but a bit open to being used/abused' - you can tighten this up professionally and politely and hopefully by doing so weed out the bad apples.

If you have a person's name then you can do a search on Facebook, LinkedIn, etc - surprising what you can find!

Good luck

Thank you so much!!!  I will spend some time and include your suggestions.  Rookie mistakes, eh?!?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Cheri33 If you rent out your home when you are away traveling, you really need to have a co-host. This could be a friend, relative or neighbor who you pay to do this- they would check the guests in, make sure there are no extra guests and that at least one of the people who arrive is the person who booked,and be prepared to turn them away if they bring extra people and refuse to accept a reservation change to pay for any extra guests.

Sarah, This is SO good!  Thank you!  I can absolutely do this!