How would you handle this?

Bob39
Level 10
Goldfield, NV

How would you handle this?

Here is the message thread:

Hi,
We are interested in doing some stargazing in the Goldfield area. Is your home in a dark area (is there a lot of light pollution around it)? Also, do you wash all of the bed linens (including the comforter) after each guest's stay? Thank you.

Hi Patricia,
Stargazing is excellent in Goldfield, if it is a clear night. Clouds can interfere. For the best possible stargazing, go out of the town a couple of miles. But stargazing is still very good at my house. The nights you have inquired about are also the peak nights of the annual Perseid Meteor Shower.
Yes, we wash all the bedding and all the towels after every guest checks out, and we give the house a cleaning after every guest checks out.
Thank you,
Bob

Is the grill gas or will we need to bring charcoal? Do you have basic condiments in the refrigerator? Is there wifi access? Thank you.

Patricia,
At my house I now have a roof over my back deck to provide shade in the daytime. Thus only a small part of the sky is visible from the back deck. A fairly large section of the western sky is visible from the front porch. For stargazing I generally recommend getting out of the town a but, such as the cemetery which is 2 miles north of the town and completely dark. Of course I have no way to know or guarantee whether a particular night will be clear or cloudy.

The grill on the deck runs on propane and there is a propane tank already hooked up to it. The refrigerator normally has a little butter. There are 2 spice racks in the kitchen and a photo of them is on the AirBnB listing. There is also a small supply of coffee, teas, creamers and sweeteners.

Yes, there is Wi-fi at the house, at a speed of 1 Mb/Sec. There is no grocery store in Goldfield and no gas station. The nearest gas station and grocery store are in Tonopah, 26 miles north of Goldfield.

Bob

(At this point she submitted her reservation request.)

If you are certain that you want to rent, I will accept the request and that will complete your reservation. Do you have any other questions or concerns before I do that?
Bob

We are certain as long as the house is as clean as your previous guests have stated. I have a bad cigarette allergy and so I am assuming that the home does not smell of smoke and that any smoking that has occurred outside has been cleaned up. I am very glad to hear that you take the time to wash all the bedding. I know that some places only do the sheets and not the bedspread/comforter.

Patricia,
There are major fires in California right now and a little of the smoke is drifting towards Nevada. This morning I can detect a light smell of smoke outside although visibility is normal. There are also many other potential allergens in Goldfield: wildlife is abundant here, there are dust storms here now and then, and there are many Great Basin plants which may be releasing pollen now, including halogeton, Russian thistle, rabbit brush, mustards, etc. I think Goldfield may be the wrong choice for your trip, so in your best interest I will decline the request which will release it and you won't be charged anything. I'd recommend you seek another location further east; possibly even in Utah, Idaho or Arizona. Thank you for your interest in Goldfield, though. I hope your trip works out well.

Bob

(At this point I Declined the request.)

My allergy is to cigarette smoke. As long as the inside of your home does not allow smoking or smell like cigarette smoke, then my allergies will be fine. I live in Las Vegas and am used to the occasional wild fire smoke, dust, and etc. I wish you would have conferred with me before canceling my reservation. I am still interested in your property and look forward to hearing back from you.

Patricia,
This property is also in Goldfield and it is only $89 a night, and they don't allow any smoking on the property at all, so it is guaranteed to be smoke free: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/25733076?location=Goldfield%2C%20NV%2C%20United%20States&search_id=9ceb...
Bob

This property is not available on the nights we need it. Do you not want to rent to me for some reason? I am confused.

Patricia,
I think you would likely end up being disappointed with my house. There are also some cabins in Diamondfield which is 5 miles east of Goldfield, a very good spot for stargazing, and I think they are only $50 per night last time I checked. They are not on AirBnB so if you wanted to book with them you would have to call them directly.
Bob

I don't know where you get that impression. I've seen the photos and read the reviews. Your home is complimented for being very clean and it looks very cute. Are you unwilling to rent it to me?

(That is the last message. I have not responded.)

What would you do?

48 Replies 48
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Bob39.

Flag the guest - report  and block.

Thank you. I have done that now, although I don't think she has actually violated the terms of service, she is just picky and demanding.

You are enabling this to drag on by your long replies. Just be conside and then refer the guest to your listing page rather than cointinue to engage her. 

consice