ID verification

Maz5
Level 2
Sidmouth, United Kingdom

ID verification

I'm being told my listings will be deactivated within a week if I don't upload my government photo ID, such as passport or driving licence.

I am unhappy to do so as this is an invitation for identify theft.

What should I do?

14 Replies 14
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

If you are uncomfortable with uploading an ID, which is a requirement for guests for many hosts, then this site may not be a fit for you.  Are you able to use other platforms for your listing?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

wow @Maz5 , who asked you to do that & under what authority?

Is this in accordance with Data Protection regulations?
Or has your local Government requested it I see you are a Host, lovely listing and love the animals

Maz5
Level 2
Sidmouth, United Kingdom

No my local government has not requested it. AirBnB emailed me out of the blue, after years of successful hosting with good reviews, to say that unless I uploaded my 'government ID', such as passport or driving licence, my listings would be deactivated within 10 days.  My view is that this is ripe for identity theft.

I agree Maz. I have bookings for next year so I don't understand why Airbnb are suddenly querying if I am who I say I am.  I would like to phone Airbnb and ask them what is behind this but cannot find a UK number.

Gaz-and-Aileen0
Level 2
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Hi Maz5, dont over think it. This is standard in airbnb. Its as safe as it gets. Just make sure you are uploading to airbnb official web site and not a random email.

That's just it Gaz when you said "as safe as it gets". These days there are no guarantees that the wrong people get hold of your details. ID theft is too common.

I too got an email out of the blue after being a host for years. It had a verification button which I clicked on, but I just ended up on a home page for would be guests. I live at my listing so could not be anyone else. I do not feel right anyway about what they seem to want. Why was it not requested when I first started a listing? Does anyone have a phone number for Airbnb that actually works?

Maz5
Level 2
Sidmouth, United Kingdom

I used this: +44 203 318 1111 from this page :https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/contact-us/channel

Hard to find so I have saved it!

Still not resolved but I have escalated the discussion.

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

Hi @Maz5 Your place looks lovely! I think you'll have to do it, as per other advice don't do via a phishing link, do it via official website. 

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Maz5   

First things first.

DO NOT click on the email link. It may take you to a site that is phishing.

DO open your app and look for this requirement .

Upload your ID only on the official airbnb app.

As for your security concerns, you are tilting at windmills. Airbnb has a right to verify who you are - just as we hosts have a right to verify our guests.  If you don't like airbnb's requirements, market your listing another way. 

Sue1488
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I have also received this email and was suspicious.  I am currently in email conversation with AirBnB as this is NOT their current standard policy, was told that I dont have to comply but was then told that if i didnt my listing (which has been in existance for 2.5 years) would not be active and I would receive no further bookings.  I consider this blackmail, and object not only on Data Protection grounds, but on principle.  I did initially try to verify my address, but their website said it was wrong (it wasnt) and then did upload my passport, but when asked to also send a new photo of myself, blew a gasket.  This is unethical

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Hi @Sue1488 - Have a look at Airbnb staff Stephanie's reply on my similar thread, link below.

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

@Maz5  I have not received an email about it, but have read several comments here on the forums and apparently, Airbnb is seeking to validate and verify every single one of their listings since the shooting occurred in Orinda, California.  I believe compliance is mandatory.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Maz5 Don't know why I've missed this thread all week - buried somewhere, have you seen the similar one I started? Many illuminating replies, (from @Susan17) & other hosts with the same message from Airbnb https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Verify-or-be-delisted/m-p/1182937 

For other similar threads, click the tags below my post.

I'm puzzled, but relieved that I only had to provide a photo of my passport, no webcam selfie, which I'm not sure I can manage....!  - Maybe it's cos I previously had NO verifications, only email & phone nos.??