Inaccurate Nightly Rates Built into Search Criteria for Guests

Reagan2
Level 6
Anchorage, AK

Inaccurate Nightly Rates Built into Search Criteria for Guests

I have a problem with Airbnb setting search criteria based on nightly rates, when many hosts lower their nightly rates and then add a hefty cleaning fee that makes their overall take-home more than mine. They often get more views and bookings, because of their "lower rates." I don't add a cleaning fee and I'm not about to because I built it into my rates. I am not going to reduce my nightly rates, because it always attracts terrible guests that create far more issues than can be addressed by a cleaning fee or deposit. It won't help me when I have 4 hours to turn over my place for the next visit, and there is vomit in the carpet, damaged furniture, or people checking out late enough that you are walking in on them in bed.  As a guest, I also am frustrated when I click to book a place and then there is $100 cleaning fee for a 1 or 2 night stay. I won't book those places. It feels like false advertising. 

Airbnb should factor in service and cleaning fees into the nightly, rate search criteria. Anyone have similar frustrations?

4 Replies 4
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Reagan2  @Branka & Silvia1

Reagan,

I understand this issue is particular to the USA, or at least not in the EU.

I learned this from Branka & Silvia in their thread

GREAT! Another ANTI - improvement by Airbnb :

Branka & Silvia informed me:

'you see the total price because you are in Europe. Europe makes it mandatory (customers protection etc...) In US initial search shows just the base price and everything else is added later, there are threads about it here on CC'

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Reagan2 

It's obviously a very competitive market and if you perceive your competitors ranking higher and booking more than you by separating their cleaning fee from their nightly rate and you want to rank the same then you must do the same with your rates and fees.

Whether the cleaning fee is included or added, those guests who are going to vomit on the carpet will still do it. Ranking higher and booking more will get you more of those too, so there will be some happy place for you to exist charging the way you do. It seems ranking higher and booking more might not actually be to your benefit?

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Reagan2, there are many differing views on this, but I agree with @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 that you are better off lowering your nightly rate and adding a cleaning fee because it is more equitable (i.e. longer stays are cheaper which is as it should be as it is less work for you) and you will attract more views. 

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Reagan2 I have noticed with my own listing that if a search is done without dates, the price is the next available day price. Therefor if you have a lower price for the next possible date to book, that is what shows as a nightly rate. However if you select the dates required Airbnb shows an average price per night with cleaning fee included. It’s up to you how you want to present your pricing to potential guests. If you believe those with a cleaning fee and lower rate have a leg up on you for exposure, you can certainly opt to do the same.