Incomplete Guest Verification

Steven69
Level 1
Miami, FL

Incomplete Guest Verification

I have a guest that has requested a reservation, however I cannot reply to the guest and receive a message that states the guest needs to finish the verification process.  That's great, but the 24 hour clock continues to tick and I continue to receive messages that seem to allow me to accept or reject the request.  Seems inconsistent.  Is anyone else having the same problem?  

6 Replies 6
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I would reject, they can book again when they have sorted their issues out.

David
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

I had a similar situation. Guest requested to book with incomplete verifications. I was unable to respond to the guest, or decline the listing, AND my dates were blocked for 24 hours. The 24 hours passed, they never did complete their verifications, calendar became unblocked, and I never heard from them again - nor do they show up anywhere on my dashboard.

Something is very wrong if an unverified guest can block your calendar. And I do NOT have Instant Book.

Jude
Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

I disagree somewhat with David's advice.

Assuming that you had a thorough conversation and did your own checks as well you should not reject the booking now that an acceptance is underway. The blockage is temporary and will not damage your statistics. If they don't complete in the 24 hour time frame you calendar date will open up and all will be well. They can continue behind the scenes and reapply if needs be. 

What you can do for the future is to discuss with enquiring guests who they arre and the purpose of their travel and then encourage them to get their account details complete before sending in a booking request. Of course if they have sent in the request already, well then, encouragement and guidance through the verification process is one of the ways that you can begin to provide your first hosting services. ....🙂

I hope this is reassuring to you. @Steven69.

Thank you Christine.  My experience seems to be closer to Jude's experience.  I could not communicate at all with the guest.  The website gave me three options, 'accept' 'decline, or 'response' and I selected 'response' since the guest wanted a 6:00 am arrival and I wanted more information about it.  However, when I selected 'response' that's when I received the notfication. 

Kelly87
Level 8
Los Angeles, CA

When a guest books that has not completed verification, Airbnb will block the room for the dates requested for 24 hours for that guest, to give them time to get the verification sorted out.

Yes, from a host's perspective this can be annoying as the dates requested will be blocked during this period, and if the guest fails to complete the verification, the reservation will not be completed. However, in my experience, nearly every time the verification does get completed and the booking is thus finalized.

Marcia55
Level 3
Auburn, WA

Have them reject and rebook