Inquiry & request at the same time. Help!

Inquiry & request at the same time. Help!

Today I had a guest inquire about a stay for 2 nights, which is my minimum. She also wanted a discount. It's for 4 adults and 2 kids.

I gave her the discount but it was still more than she wanted to pay, due to Air Bnb's fees, which I explained to her. She said she had to talk to her sister before committing. In the meanwhile, a request came in for 11 guests the same nights. $270 more, but for 11 guests. I haven't yet approved the request, (guest has no reviews and is for 11 adults.). They didn't request a discount. The inquiry thought she had 24 hours, but I failed to specify that someone else could book in the meanwhile. I assumed because the inquiry did not get back to me within a few hours she wasn't interested. I did pre-approve the inquiry, and now it says "no longer possible". I would appreciate any advice! What do I honor?

12 Replies 12
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Take the 11 pax. 1st anyone asking for a discount should send up warning flares, 2nd hmm nope no second. 

Thanks for your advice. I feel bad because the Inquiry guest seemed so nice, and I think I'd rather have 4 adults & 2 kids stay at the house than 11 adults(with no reviews) but I also don't want to get penalized in some way for declining the Request.  But you are right to honor the 11 people, and get the full price.  I guess I was also thinking less clean-up work from 4 adults & 2 kids, but you never know!

The house happens to be available that weekend because someone canceled. And 1st come 1st serve. That's the way it works, I guess.  I have only been hosting for 11 months, so still a lot to learn. Thanks again!

@Russell-and-Jennifer0 wrote:

I feel bad because the Inquiry guest seemed so nice,

That's because she's haggling for a discount, I would not be surprised to see "so nice" turn "so nasty" once she arrives and starts nit picking for even more discount by way of a refund.

Absolutely take the request. Trying it on for a discount once is a little cheeky but haggling for even more of a discount is taking the mickey. Also it is a big warning sign that she's pegged you for someone who will back down quickly because you appear deperate to get a booking. Don't sell yourself and your space short, your prices are obviously reflective of your space as others are willing to pay them.

Thanks @Niel3 ! 

You made some very good points. I am happy to say that I accepted the Request, and with the advice I have been given here, will certainly help me in the future. 

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Russell-and-Jennifer0  If you decline a request, there is consequence. If your acceptance rate is lower than 80%, your listing could be delisted. 

For inquiries, as long as you respond within 2 hours, you are fine. Based on my experience, only 50% inquiries or less are converted to final booking request. The ones inquiring discount are even less in converting to final booking.

Thanks. My acceptance rate is higher than 80%, but I have worked so very hard to get the listing where it is today.  And interesting statistic about only 50% convert to actually booking.  Food for thought.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Russell-and-Jennifer0

there are so many good proverbs about why you should take 11 people: you snooze you lose (meaning first guest); bird in hand better than two in a bush (11 people for sure or 5 in theory); stingy pays twice (first guest). All in all, you have no responsibility to the first guest. They are haggling with you currently. The second is willing to book and pay right now and that is whom you should accept. And overall: do not negotiate with guests. Those end up the most unhappy, nit picking, problem causing.

All good points well-taken!  (I appreciate the proverbs) I did approve the 11 guests. And explained to the Inquiry guest the way Air Bnb works. I didn't hear back from her after that.  I also don't like the idea of haggling. Perhaps it was indeed a prerequisite to an unhappy guest, the last thing any of us needs! Thanks for your input!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Technically, a request to book always trumps an inquiry. The guest requesting has all credit card info entered and is ready to book. The inquiring guest is not.

@Emilia42  I have not tried to block the dates when pre-approve is clicked.

In this case, the dates in the calendar could be blocked from other booking requests.

Esther13
Level 6
Doylestown, PA

if you are concerned about the larger number of guests making more work for you, I would like to offer a suggestion.  I charge more person after a certain guest count.  That way, the more or max number of guests are now worth the additional hassle and wear and tear on your space.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Here in America if you start picking and choosing who does and doesn't get a discount, this will lead you to a discrimination lawsuit. That's why I have set prices. Take it or leave it.