Instant booking requirements

Beto-and-Maia0
Level 2
Papaikou, HI

Instant booking requirements

We have a rental on the same property we live on with our children. Obviously we were concerned about letting perfect strangers into our home so when we started our rental we put certain requirements in place including a profile photo and 5 questions about purpose of travel such as who will stay and if they read and agreed to the house rules. Some people are very thourough while some aren't at all, but I look at the answers if there are any, photos, etc and usually have been comfortable with the reservations so sometimes I let the lack of answers slide.

I just got a reservations a day or two ago for the 23 to 24th. The person answered zero of my questions, their name is in characters I have no idea how to read, and their profile photo is a black background with the word "**bleep**". I find these extremely unsettling and also disrespectful to any potential hosts.

My first impression: very bad. I messaged the guest with the pre booking questions again and have not gotten any answers. I got in touch with AirBnB support and just got off the phone. They were extemely unhelpful and actually kind of rude, interrupting me multiple times as well as being excessively repetitive saying that per AirBnB policy a reservation cannot be cancelled by them unless check in is within 72 hours.

The dilemma is that 1. We do not permit last minute bookings (two very bad experiences) and 2. We live in Hawaii where people generally plan ahead. If the reservation isn't cancelled until 72 hours prior to arrival then I am almost guaranteed to lose out that night. 

I am not even necessarily asking for the reservation to be cancelled, just maybe two of the issues resolved so that I can feel more confident that both the guest and my family will have a good experience. 

Also there's no button to flag profile pictures of inanimate objects. I find that rude as far as guests go. My address and whole home are at their fingertips even if they cancel later and they refuse to upload an accurate photo?

I am kind of frustrated...

7 Replies 7
Kendra114
Level 9
Galveston, TX

Trust your gut. Cancel. Call & talk to someone else. Keep it short & sweet. Tell the support person the guest failed to answer your questions & was beligerent (or whatever word you choose) & you do not feel safe with them in your home & around your kids.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Beto-and-Maia0  I would talk to someone else at Airbnb.  If it is Instant Book you have 3 penalty free cancellations per year.  I've never heard that Airbnb can only cancel bookings if it is within 72 hours, that doesn't even make any sense.  You could also try texting the guest and tell them sent them several messages @ Airbnb and that is important they provide answers in order for the reservation to move forward, see what  happens.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Beto-and-Maia0  Never take a CS's response as the final word. Half of them have no idea what they're talking about and give out totally incorrect info. Keep trying until you hopefully get an understanding and helpful rep.

Patricia1375
Level 4
Nederland, CO

@Beto-and-Maia0 I agree with everyone's comments above.  I usually have a good laugh at every response @Sarah1 offers!!  CS people at Airbnb have rehearsed answers irregardless of the question you ask.  You could ask about the moon.  Then ask about appliances.  Then ask about cancellation policies, and to all three questions the CS person would give you the same answer.  It can drive a person mad.  Just keep calling.

Four years ago when I first started hosting, some folks on this site strongly encouraged me to notify people on my website that we have a rental agreement which has to be signed (a requirement of our homeowners insurance) and their reservation isn't final until they sign the RA and return to me.  IT's all done online.  In the RA it specifically asks for the names and ages of each person who will be staying at our home. It also asks for a copy of the primary renter's drivers license.  IF guests don't sign and return the RA, I politely notify them that the reservation isn't final until I receive that back.  I have gotten every one of the RA's back from pending guests.

I am completely convinced that most people don't read our websites prior to making reservations. Therefore, they are unlikely to answer all your questions.   In my experience, at least I know who is reportedly coming and their ages before they get here.  As I live on my property as well, it provides me with a small sense of security. 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Beto-and-Maia0 no guests don't read and no abb doesn't believe in helping you be picky. I've switched over to all requests instead of IB. I currently have a Hosting thread running of all the requests where guests haven't read, but at least I know that before they are booked.

And, I'd skip calling CS... just pester the guest until they either shape up or decide on their own to go away.

I am interested to know where you post the questions.  I like the idea of knowing why they are in town.  Thank youl

Kristina46
Level 10
Hawaii, United States

I'm down the road from you in South Kona. My advice is to take your property off IB since you are a hosted rental and you need to vet guests first. I've hosted since 2010 and I have never once had my place on IB. I am not sure but you don't get a photo until confirmation? Maybe it's different with IB?

Raise your prices a little to discourage the riff raff. 

Also you didn't mention it but as a new host, make sure you have your state tax licenses. The total is now 17.96% and 3 percent of that pays directly to the county.