Involving airbnb after lodging a compliant on resolution centre

Elliot11
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Involving airbnb after lodging a compliant on resolution centre

Hey all,

I've been hosting on airbnb for close to 3 months now. Rcently, I had a guest which caused damage to my property and I have requested a refund from him. It's been more than 3 days and I have not heard back. It's probably the most common question but I'd like to know how I can get airbnb involved in the process? I read that the phone lines are for emergencies only so thought I'd try here first.

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I know somepeople take the view that you make a claim on the Host Guarantee straight away as it would be rare for a guest to agree and you are just waisting time.

3 days is more than long enough.

David

Thanks for the response. I had already made a claim on the resolution centre straight after. However, I have not heard back. How do I get airbnb involved?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Elliot11 Dealing with the resolution centre is, more often than not, a lengthy process. You say you have not heard back! Does that mean you have not had any sort of response or does it mean they have acknowledged your complaint but have not acted on it yet?

If they are in receipt of your claim they will first get the guests side and it depends on how long it takes to actually contact the guest. By what you have said you were not getting anywhere with the guest, and they may not be having any more luck than you.

You should prepare yourself for the fact that you are dealing with the risk management arm of Airbnb when you deal with the resolution centre, and it is their duty to minimise the company's exposure to payouts. They will more readily side with a guest because a happy guest makes them look good which is good for business, a happy host makes them look bad and is detrimental to their business, so your chances of success are not high. It's not like dealing with an insurance company, don't expect that it will be!

You have not mentioned the nature of your claim or the money involved but if it is a claim for damage be prepared  for a payout of around 10%! Airbnb will regard anything above that to be the result of 'wear and tear' which is not something they will pay out on.

You can contact Airbnb on the Sydney number 02 8520 3333 and speak to someone there, but if the amount is minor I would suggest you put this event behind you and perhaps just raise your listing amount by $5 per hosting and put that aside to cover these things that will happen on odd occasions....Elliot, they don't happen frequently, but dealing with the Resolution Centre can be regarded as an exercise in frustration!

Cheers....Rob

I hope you have better luck than me.  30 emails, receipts, pictures, quotes for guest that burned my countertop and other smaller priced items, I received $125.00, not even the full deposit nor not even enough to replace my countertops as repairing not possible.  

@Elliot11

I am not sure if I understand question correctly but he is asking how to involve Airbnb.

+after you submit RT guest has 72h to answer in case you don´t want to wait you will see new button "involve Airbnb"
+after involving Airbnb you case manager will contact you and guest and made decision, mostly they ask for more documentation if this which you have uploaded are not sufficient

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767

I hope this help.

Thanks, Max. I saw the button yesterday and clicked it. I am told that a case manager is currently looking into my claim.