Is Super Host Status actually a good thing?

Is Super Host Status actually a good thing?

I've been hoping to get Super Host Status for the first time, and I see I'm just 1% away for the next assessement date. But now I am starting to question whether I want SH status - I hear you face a different type of guests with SH badge (more picky guests? higher expectations? guests leave more negative reviews?) 

I would love to hear from hosts on the difference Before vs After SH status

Thanks!

12 Replies 12
Richard1
Level 7
Lenox, MA

I have had Super Host status for about 2 years.  In my area, which attracts a lot of tourist, I believe it helps with bookings.  I think that the primary advantage of attaining Super Host status is that it keeps my attention on the many details of hosting.  I would not consider any of my past guest picky, as a matter of fact this is the type of guest I prefer (someone who respect my property and services).  Most guest want a good value.  Good communications, ammenities, and cleanliness are what I expect in my lodging choices and I strive to provide that to my guests.

I did not work to attain Super Host status - I did what I thought was important for good customer service and AirBnB recognized my efforts( I am OK with that).  The Superhost badge is not important to me but the level of service that it represents is important to me.  I believe that the Super Host badge is a way to communicate to possible guests that this guest "makes the extra effort".

For me it is a good goal for attaining a high level of service - something to set you apart from the masses.  Goals are important and they help us on our path to continuous improvement.  Strive to exceed you guests' expectations and you will do well.  Best of luck to you.

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Cristina-And-Daniel0 I really don't care whether I have Superhost status or not. I had it for a while last year but we lost it earlier this year when due to a mistake with a booking.com/Airbnb double booking we had to cancel. Yet we have been busier than ever with over 160 sets of guests through the front door this season. Not having Superhost has made no difference. Most guests don't know what it is anyway and probably go more on reviews than anything else.

Thank you @Victoria57 that helps.

Mahrita0
Level 4
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

i feel airbnb are putting far to much pressure on host lets face it it started have you got a spare room now thet are running our life lets face it they are only an advertisement company they are good for any problems but i think they are going to far as long as your guest is getting a clean bed clean room tv wifi tea cofffee shampoo conditioner ,some guest dont read your amenities and therefore disappointed when they dont have the ammenities ie ther was a picture of my kitchen but there is no tick in box so i am in the wrong and affects ny rating guest just read city centre and book i have had a good experience with airbnb but recently i feel they are getting things wrong not communicating with host and really hard to talk to them because i want this resolved mgt

I have had hardly anyone mention it, and I have seen many many threads from hosts wanting to get it, worried about keeping it or losing it.

I do not see any harm, but not something to be too focussed about.

David

im a superhost and i dont think it maters at all. most guests dont even know or click on the superhost filter. i got the same type of guests when i wasnt a superhost. superhost is really for the hosts pride rather than getting any more bookings

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

I think maybe you get a better ranking in the search results - or used to.

Judy83
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I would prefer more picky guests because I'm picky about who I want to host as well. But honestly, I haven't noticed any difference at all between before and after.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Hi, @Cristina-And-Daniel0 in beautiful Toronto! No, I mean in beautiful Budapest! (Sorry, had to edit. I saw only the Toronto...)

I think superhostcraft (new word, I just now made it up) means little to guests, or maybe just MY guests, unless they are very quiet about it. No difference for me at all before vs after.

Also, I, as a guest, don't worry about finding a superhost when I am travelling, because I know it is withheld for so many things they have no control over: three stars from guests who pride themselves on such high standards that they wouldn't give five stars to a castle, the host having been tricked or forced by circumstances into a cancellation, etc.

If you get it, cool, because it is possible it affects your position in a search, but don't ever let it stress you out. 

Congratulations on being so close! That's pretty super.

Ty for the encouragement Lawrene!

I don't think it makes any difference to the guests, I've had as many bookings with it as without.  It was inspiring to meet the standards and get that badge, but it is easy to lose because so many factors are completely out of our control, like 4 star ratings.  I'm not worried about it anymore, as long as my guests are happy I'm happy.

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Few guests know or understand what it means anyway. 

It's still nice though, it's a bit of recognition, and AirBnB invites you for tea and cookies occasionally.