Is there any Settled Law in California about Short Term Rentals ( AirBnB ) and Condo Association CCR

James37
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Is there any Settled Law in California about Short Term Rentals ( AirBnB ) and Condo Association CCR

Is there any Settled Law in California about Short Term Rentals ( AirBnB ) and Condo Association CCR's.

Does AirBnB have any Legal Assistance Division or has there been legal precedents to change the rules of a Home Owners Accociation (HOA) to allow short term rentals like AirBnB or VRBO ?

7 Replies 7

Have you received any feedback on this from Airbnb Community or other means?

I am very much interested to learn what could be done if a Code enforcer pays a visit to a house listed.

Kindly advise

Chaz0
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Good Afternoon,

I just received the following response when I inquired about the same concern:

We're only able to help out with any account related issues, including providing a neutral penalty-free cancellation of your upcoming reservations and documentation certifying you have shuttered your listing and do not have any upcoming reservations or transactions.

Regrettably, we can't give our hosts legal advice, as the regulations in each jurisdiction vary between HOA's and homeowners vary.

You may want to reach out to community support and see if other hosts have had similar experiences and what their steps were moving forward.

Have you heard anything differently?

My Home Owners Associating is requiring me to remove my listing.

Best,

Chaz

Hello, 

I have a listing for my house in Irvine for past 10 months.

I  just received a letter from my HOA regarding violation on nightly rental of my place. I have a hearing on May 10th. Since then I change my listing to 30 days minimum so I am fully compliant!

I just received a letter from Sr. Code Enforcer of City of Irvine that I have violated same rule but they called it Vacation rental and no mention of nightly rental or Short term rental.  He has scheduled a visit to my house on May 18th, I have to reschedule it as I will be out of town for few days.

I am hoping Vacation rental refers to 30 days and minimum and I then will be fully compliant with Irvine too, wouldn't I? 

That's it folks, Any feedback or input would be appreciated?

Hi Amir

just wondering how the process ended? I also got a notice after i changed my listing to have guest with at least 31 days. Now the hoa said i still violated the rule because airBnb is a vocational website which was not allowed in residential community. 

Did you get your case resolved in a good way?

Robert433
Level 1
Culver City, CA

I've formed an organization called Short-Term Rental Owners' Association of Culver City.  We are going to lobby the city against proposed ordinances to shut down short term rentals.

I checked with the City of Monterey Planning office and was advised that they have established an enforcement team - no rentals allowed less than 30 days or you will be cited ( $ 1000/day penalty). A monthly rental is OK and no occupancy tax  is charged. My property manager advised me the surrounding cities e.g. Pacific Grove, Carmel, Seaside have established similar ordnances. 

Terri129
Level 3
Plymouth, CA

Look up findhoalaw.com. There is a section for case law.