Is this normal in Airbnb?

岱勳0
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

Is this normal in Airbnb?

This happened in OH, I planned to meet my friend in Cincinnati, so I stayed in Columbus for 1 night.

After I booked the room. Host keep asking me to read the rule, which is very long. He asked me several questions, such as ETA and the reason to come.

However, I did not reply very soon. She blamed me for that.

After arriving at the house, I cannot find the key. 

However, I saw her brother in the backyard so I asked him. She blamed me for not asking her through apps while she is not home till 11:00 pm.

After she arrived at the house, She told me that I should not park in the driveway and told me to move the car. She blamed me it's all in the rule.

While I preparing to move the car to the road, she started to have a short conversation "blame me"

Said: She was frustrated and disappointed at me.............. I should live in a hotel than Airbnb. ((((((at 11:30 pm)))))

Is this normal, that some host humiliated you at midnight? I tried to be a kind person. But in the end, no this is unacceptable. And text harassment is another annoying thing, she texted me after 11:30 to blame more, then said goodnight.

Is this normal, or I just met a  weird host?

--------------Below is the review to the host and support center------------------

To be honest and telling a true story from my heart, I get:

1. Text harassment from the moment I book to the moment like 11:30 p.m.
  2. A lot of rudeness and offensive emotions with anxious symptom
  3. A dog that will bark me up at 5 a.m.
  4. Humiliation at midnight or all the time
  5. 13 pages screenshot long rules with emotional words and redundancy

I tried my best to be kind and respectful, and this woman keeps dumping sXXt on me last night. Even in the last minutes after I check-out, she put suspicion on me due to a red onion disappearing.

[ The rule she made was beyond the human limited and my tolerance. The rule has too many emotional words and redundancy, which is hard to read. ]

In my country, if someone like her, treat people like that, the business will disappear just in a second.

This woman has over 100 reviews, but it only shows 11 reviews. 90% of her comments disappeared. It means 90% of customers disappointed the experience. She lied to me no one has the issue like me and yelled to me at 11:30 pm.

I can't sleep well because I was pissed off till 4 am, and the dog barked me at 5 am.

She said in midnight 11:30:" I should not use Airbnb and suggest me to go to a hotel".

Well, I swear to god if I have a right or access to kick her off of this market, I will.

I will use all my resource to report this host.

I deserve an apology, but I got humiliated till the last minutes. She should fix her writing skill before running a business.

I always have a good time in Airbnb until this woman came out.

Best regard,

I hope one day she gets deactivated.

I have confidence that I am not the first one and the last one to report her.

62 Replies 62
Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@岱勳0 

I don't know the host but many of the actions u have listed, I will require the same. (arrival time, the purpose of ur trip and make sure to read house rules) this is very common on ABB.

I am a strong believer that u don't like rules or u think they don't apply to you. 

Host know by guests action if they took the time to read the info they have sent prior to check-in. 

U could not check in because u did not find the keys, park on the wrong driveway,

on my side u are a not a good guest from the start. Because I cannot believe a single guest will make so many mistakes from the start unless the person really doesn't care.

from my own experience, 100% of my listings are self-check-in but sometimes depending on some guests we meet. Even though some listings been set for years with multiples guests over the years u will have the odd one u cannot check-in. And when that does happen I know from the start the guests have not properly read any info.

And again i am one of those hosts like ur host with less than perfect English but does not mean I don't how to host

I will assume that you did not look all the article over.

1.  I have replied to the question, but she blames me did not respond quickly.

2. Just like the rules, she makes the long list which is hard to read and not clearly understanding.

Just like you won't read my whole article. I won't read the whole rules either.

3. I didn't find the key because she did not show the key appropriately. And I find the fast solution, she blamed me the solution is wrong.

4. As a host, if you cannot make your rule or instruction in a 1-2 paper long, you should rewrite it. 

And, she creates a list which has 13 pages screenshot long. With emotional words and redundancy.  Don't create a guide which you don't want to read, and force your client to read.

Or, I will just assume that the host runs the Airbnb like you have low education and did not finish high school.

I have a  lot of great experience with Airbnb, and this is the first and the worst experience I have.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@岱勳0  Without actually seeing the messages from the host or the URL for the listing to see what all her house rules are, it's hard to comment much.

But as a guest, you do have the responsibility to read thoroughly through all the house rules, check-in instructions, and advise your host of your arrival time- the problems with the key and the parking could easily have been avoided if you had had the respect to respond to the host's original message and read everything provided. A guest who can't be bothered to do this should stay in hotels. The host stated in her review that you ignored her request for arrival time until the last minute, and she had plans, which was why she needed to know when you were arriving. It's quite disrespectful to leave a host hanging, wondering when you're planning to show up.

If you weren't willing to agree to the host's rules, you should not have booked there. No one forced you to book it.

Perhaps the host has unreasonable expectations, 13 pages of rules is ridiculous, she should condense it. But like I said, we only have your version of things. And you have 4 reviews, and another one also mentions that you didn't follow house rules. Perhaps you should reflect on your own behavior, rather than trying to portray yourself like the victim.

The host has 107 reviews, and guests seem to love her hosting and her place. The very few guests who complained were those who, like you, didn't like the list of rules. No one else seemed to have any problems with that.

WoW, so you find the host. I don't know you can see the rules she writes or not. I followed the rule carefully as my best and being kind, but there are too many rules.

Yeah, and you saw 107 reviews, where is the rest 96 review. Airbnb deletes all bad comments, you have no idea right. Furthermore, I have mentioned this in my article. Wow, so you just ignore the detail and showing unrespect to me, right?

The reason why my comment can stay in the review is that I gave host 4 stars, so the system didn't block me, I m not stupid.

@岱勳0  Airbnb doesn't delete bad comments unless they violate their review rules, which are quite specific, like no discriminatory comments (referring to a guest or host's ethnicity, sexual persuation, etc) and a few other things. It has nothing to do with leaving a 4* star review, you don't understand how it works. Tons  of hosts have had guests leave 1-3 star reviews and the reviews stand as written. 

I don't know why you can't see the host's 107 reviews- they are clearly visible on her profile and listing. Maybe you didn't click on "Read more"?

Some hosts have a lot of house rules, some have very few. It depends on the nature of the listing, the host, and the guests they've experienced. Hosts may have started out with few rules, but had guests who disrespected the home, so added more rules to cover everything. For instance, you might not think that you'd have to ask someone to remove their street shoes at the door, it seems like common sense, but hosts have had guests track mud all over the carpets, so they add that rule.

"Or, I will just assume that the host runs the Airbnb like you have low education and did not finish high school.

Comments like that to people who take the time to answer your post are extremely rude.

The reason I being rude is that you are misleading others.

There are no other 90 % reviews, I don't know why you can see that maybe you are just lying. Just like my host.

There is no see more button, there are just 11 + mine review = 12 reviews

Simple math.

@岱勳0  The host has three listings. The listing you booked has 12 reviews. But the total number of reviews for her is over 100. If you look her profile, you can read all her reviews.

Her rules are long but much shorter than 13 screenshots. It is more like two screenshots. If you talked about the length of entire listing, that contains a lot of other information. That is an issue with Airbnb’s design of the web pages.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@岱勳0 

Stephen, two of your 4 reviews say you were not good at following house rules. 

I have to say, based on your review history I would decline a reservation request from you.

Short term renting is a 50/50 thing Stephen, sure you are paying money but, that doesn't mean you can do as you like.

Nothing is more frustrating to hosts than have a guest ignore their requests for (what is important to them) information. A host is not like a reception desk at a hotel that is staffed and ready for your arrival around the clock, 24 hours a day. A host has commitments and also has a life to lead, a day to plan out, and a non responsive guest gets the whole hosting off to a bad start. The fact that the host was not there when you arrived was not the hosts fault, it was yours, and I can't blame the host for being annoyed and cross with you.

The host has a long and complicated description and house rules because she is trying to avoid the situation you placed her in. She wants the stay to run smoothly!

"And, she creates a list which has 13 pages screenshot long. With emotional words and redundancy.  Don't create a guide which you don't want to read, and force your client to read."

I don't quite know where you "13 page" screenshot came from.....I managed to fit it into 2

Things to note.png

and although  I grant you the 'Other Things to note' is quite long everything in there is for a reason!

My feeling is Stephen, if you consider that house rules are a waste of time and are meant for others, not you, then you should really be looking at other accommodation alternatives to pursue in the future! 

Cheers......Rob

If you want to decline, go ahead. I would not mind.

Yeah, just as the host like you have a life to go on. I have that too. The first day I book, I reply to her after 5 hours. Pretty long? I don't think so. And I have a hard day, so I reply late. 

Yeah, my fault. What a selfish company that educate their host to not care about the client.

I didn't blame my host when I arrived at the place. I just can't find the key that because it didn't show in the tutoring.  Even I look carefully in tutoring. After I saw a person in the back yard beside the house.

Why can I just ask him?  

Why can I just ask him?  

Why can I just ask him?  

How should I know their relationship not good?

After that, she started all the text harassment until 11:30 pm.

60 dollars, I can even live in a cheap hotel in NY Manhattan.

13-page screenshot on the phone. OK? I use the phone.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@岱勳0 

Jess reviews 2.png

@岱勳0 This host has three listings:

Room #1: Perfect Clintonville Pre-fabulous in 195-s Cottage = 53 reviews

Room #2: Charming (& Spacious) Clintonville Cod Loft! = 42 reviews

Room #3: Retro "Duckroom" Den Retreat (WHERE YOU STAYED) = 12 Reviews

53 + 42 + 12 = 107

That math is correct, yes?

Airbnb does not delete reviews (regardless of how bad they are) unless they do not fall within the content policy. 

This information that you mention in your article is incorrect. You should not blame hosts for not reading your article (JUST LIKE THIS HOST DID TO YOU) when we are only trying to give you the correct information. 

Thanks for the explanation. I apologize for my misunderstanding.

Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@岱勳0  Airbnb is operated differently from a hotel settings. Hotel has 24/7 front desk service. And therefore it is a mandatory question what time a guest arrives because a host has his own schedule and has to cooperate with the guest beforehand. If you had replied the host, you would not have received the hosts repeated messages.

As for the purpose of your trip, it is also good to know for a host. Airbnb’s accommodation is provided by individual hosts by opening their house to guests who are strangers to them. With just an email and phone number which everybody has, a little bit more information from a guest would be much helpful for a host to decide if he would accept the booking request from a guest.

From a guest point of view, it is a guest responsibility to read the listing carefully and agree with the rules before a booking is made. If you don’t feel comfortable when you read the 14 page long rules or other thing in a listing, you should have not booked his listing at the beginning to avoid the potential issues. Hopefully all guests read and understand listings before booking, keep god communication with hosts throughout the stay, and respect the hosts rules.

As a host, if you cannot make your rule or instruction in a 1-2 paper long, you should rewrite it. 

And, she creates a list which has 13 pages screenshot long. With emotional words and redundancy.  Don't create a guide which you don't want to read, and force your client to read.

Or, I will just assume that the host runs the Airbnb like you have low education and did not finish high school.

I have a  lot of great experience with Airbnb, and this is the first and the worst experience I have.