Just installed a washer dryer and it's already causing problems

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

Just installed a washer dryer and it's already causing problems

We just installed a washer dryer in our rental flat yesterday, and it's already causing a problem. I'm really annoyed by it.

We had a family of three check in last night for a three-night stay at 9:30 pm. They didn't know that there would be a washer dryer when they booked: it's a brand new amenity. We left them 6 large bath sheets, plus four hand towels and 4 face cloths - this is the normal number we leave people, and we have never had an issue before. No one has ever asked for extras: we supply lots of hooks and a towel bar in the bathroom, as well as a portable drying rack, if they need space to dry them. They could also throw them in the dryer if they wanted to dry them more quickly. They just sent me a message, asking where the laundry soap is, because they need to wash their towels. I said that we could supply extra towels, if needed, but we don't suppy daily fresh towels (it's a self-catering apartment, and again, this has never come up before). I told them that the washer is inteded for guests to do their personal laundry for longer stays, if it's needed.

If you have a washer-dryer in your place, how do you deal with this kind of thing? How do you limit useage, or do you? I absolutely don't want people washing their towels after 1 day, nor do I really want people doing an excessive amount of laundry.

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Alexandra316,

At my place it is limited to maximum use once a week per longer stay guest (a week or more) or tennant and also must be reasonable load. Machine is located in one of the three conected houses (serving all guests), so people have to ask me for the key to access. Never give people unlimited access, as they will take advantage of it. Same for detergent. Some machines have features (like child lock, a coin-lock attached or even control via Wifi) which can be used to be in control about access.

@Emiel1 You're brilliant! Thanks. I can simply unplug the washer dryer from the back side. The way it's installed means that the guest has no means to plug it in, but it's very easy for us to plug and unplug it from the back, or even install a Wifi enabled plug so I can just activate it as needed.

That's why I love this forum! I knew someone would have a brilliant suggestion.

Hi @Alexandra316 

petty but i kinda feel like you mistakenly gave the wrong person credit 😞 shucks and you called them brilliant 😞 i really need to work on my self esteeem! 

Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Alexandra316 All I can say is I almost installed one for guests - but my mom talked me out of it - she said I would have nothing but problems. people running a load for one tshirt - guests doing all their laundry just because they can, breakage - I realized mom was right - heck she's always right -Women are so wise! 

Firstly Go striaght to your house rules and write your specifications regarding usage. And the fact that detergent is not supplied (heck i think half my profits go to Tide! - detergent is expensive) You may want to instal a smart outlet - not the plugin kind but one wired into the wall. 15 minute job for an electrician or anyone thats a little handy can do it themselves after watching a youtube instructional video just turn the power off to that switch on your panel first so your safe.. Make sure there are no nearby outlets that can be used instead or an extension cord for those who try to be slick.Then either provide a time when the outlet is activated or require guests to send a request. 

@Ephraim0 You and @Emiel1 gave the same suggestion at the same time, and it's absolutely perfect: thanks! Because of the way the washer-dryer is installed, the guest has no way to plug or unplug it: it's located in a cubby in the wall, and all the wiring goes through a wall (hard to describe, but anyways... the upshot is guests have no access to the plugs). I'm going to get some of the smart outlets and use them, so that I can activate or de-activate the appliances as needed.

thanks @Alexandra316 @Emiel1was just kidding. My mom affectionally (i think) refers to me as "Jerk" 

Hey "jerk" bring me the remote... Where is that jerk? No Jerk do not buy a washer dryer for guests - of course mom is a a morrocan immigrant and perhaps she thinks the definition of jerk is "most cherished child" it's no wonder I have issues.

@Ephraim0 And I agree that whether or not to install a washer dryer at all can be difficult, but when you're out in the country, there aren't really any laundromats. There's only one within a reasonable distance, and it's really awful: anyone who's used it has complained about it. All of my direct competition offers them also, so I thought it was a good addition.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Alexandra316  I don't limit mine and provide laundry pods. I don't have issues for the most part. I have a framed "Please Do Not Wash Our Towels or Linens! If You Need More Just Ask." it's right above the washer. 

@Letti0 Thanks for that... maybe I'll all add the sign for now and just see how it goes in the day-to-day first. I think I was annoyed this morning because it's never come up before, and the person was pretty rude about it.

I leave 2 bath towels, 2 washcloths, 2 hand towels and 4 makeup washclothes per person. With 1 extra beach towel per person because I don't want them taking my bath towels to SeaWorld learned that one early on. For a longer stay like the guests that left this morning 9 days I swapped out the linens and towel on the morning of the 5th day. for 6-8 day stays I do it on day 4.