Learning more about potential guest

Natalia96
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Learning more about potential guest

Hello, 

This person https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/13550767 wants to rent ma place for 2 weeks, she has 1 verisifcation and no reviews, she's been a member of Airbnb since 2014. The photo could be a fake. Is there a way of finding out more about her? I don't know the surneme so I'm unable to google her. Thanks, Natalia

2 Replies 2
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hi @Natalia96,

'Dear guest, I see this is your first trip through Airbnb. I like knowing a bit about who will be coming to stay in my home, and since your profile is not complete, could you please tell me a little bit about yourself first?" If you are very suspicious ask more, like "What brings you here?")

Also go to Host drop-down menu (at top) >>

Your reservations >>

Reservation requirements (left side) >>>

check box 'Require guests to go through verification'

(This forces them to go through a process that dishonest guest usually try to avoid)

If you're not doing it yet, include in your House Rules that there will be an ID check upon arrival.

(Airbnb has stopped asking for ID proof during verification process, so hosts doing the check is even more important now).

Start a kind of 'hotel' register in which you write down their address or city and their ID number.

Many cities/countries have the regulation that everybody in the hospitality business keeps this kind of a record.

Might seem like overkill, but it is effective to send the message to guests >> you will be registered, so don't try anything illegal <<<

It's not a perfect system, but decent guests will normally give you the information you need.

And having their ID proves that the person arriving is not a 3rd party booking (not covered by Airbnb), and it's also  a safeguard in the ultimate  nightmare case where you might need to involve the police. Unbelievable how many hosts have accepted guests without verified profiles, didn't check ID on arrival, and even gave them keyless entry, so never even met them face to face. And then cried about their place being robbed.

Thanks Andrea, this helps a lot!