Leaving a Bad Review

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Leaving a Bad Review

Hi All,

I've been hosting for over a year, and I've only had to leave one bad review until now. I could use some input on what I've written so far. I posted about the guest last week, so long story short, it was the typical impossible to please guest. They immediately started complaining that the kitchen cabinets are too old (it's an old house, and you can see them in the pics), that the yard isn't maintained (I just harvested my vegetable garden, so it's currently a plot of dirt), that the place is filthy and covered in dust (I thoroughly clean after each guest, including dusting of all surfaces), and that the place reeks of cigarette smoke (no one has smoked in this house since my grandpa quite smoking in 1986). They cancelled after their first of four nights, claiming that their allergies couldn't handle the dust and cigarette smoke.

I think they're just the type who can't differentiate between an old house and a dirty house, but I can't just flat out say that in the review. 

Anyway, here's what I have for a review so far. Thoughts?

"Unfortunately, B**** & T**** had to cancel their reservation due to severe allergies that were not disclosed prior to booking. I feel that a hotel would be much better suited to meet their particular needs, however if you have a new or recently renovated home, with no pets, you may be able to accommodate them."

Steve
15 Replies 15
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Steve2743 Imho, a well worded and of proper length (not too wordy ;)) review. Still, make sure you set the correct stars for the guest because I sense they might leave a really pooor review for you. It's just that "pain in the ***" type of guests.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Hi @Marzena4, thanks for the input! Yes, a bad review is a certainty at this point (and just days before superhost evaluations!). They've already sent a lengthy message. They've actually submitted their review already, but I obviously can't see it yet. 

Steve
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Good review. I would drop "however if you have a new or recently renovated home, with no pets, you may be able to accommodate them."

These people are too touchy for anyone, they are the hotel types, where they will be happier and drive someone else crazy who will handle them as just a number.

Thanks! I was wondering about that myself. I left it because they have 3 great prior reviews, but they're all from hosts with brand new homes (mine is 50 years old, and well maintained, but has never been fully renovated). That said, those hosts could have just left a good review in the hopes of receiving a good review themselves. 

Steve

@Steve2743 - I'm sorry I'm coming late to this conversation but it doesn't look like you've posted your review yet.  My advice would be that your review is not honest enough and you shouldn't speculate about what would make them happy. It's unfortunate that they didn't actually tell you what would make them happy, I guess except to provide new cabinets and make sure you provide allergy medicine 🙂  So your review should "say" so.  Personally, I would say: 

"We would not host B & T again.  They complained about numerous items in the home from the kitchen cabinetry to the dirt in the yard.  Nothing we did improved things enough for them and they checked out XX days early.  We cannot recommend them to other hosts based on our experience.  They would probably best be suited by a hotel. "

My style is much more direct, I know, and it might not be for you.  However, feel confident that you don't need to excuse their behavior anymore than you need to defend the fact that the house doesn't smell like smoke either. 

Personally, the mid-century modern style of those kitchen cabinets  is amazing - please don't remove them ever!  

I have to agree with Alice and Jeff, as host we need to leave honest reviews. Way too many of us are leaving fluffy reviews with no substance to help the next host make a decision on hosting. 

I totally agree with Alice & Jeff and I like their honest wording. I doubt that B&T will be tactful in their review so I would say it as it is.

There is definitely no pleasing some people.

Wow! This thread took off unexpectedly!

I'm posting my review tonight (I was waiting for the review from my most recent guest to come through), and now I think I might need to rewrite it. 

I wrote the original one because I didn't want to risk saying anything that could potentially be cause for Airbnb to remove the review, but I think your way manages to do just that, while being more honest. Thanks! 

Steve
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I think it is textbook perfect.

You are graciously saying "Red Flag. Danger. Danger"

While you could leave out the "If you have a brand new home" bit, I am throughly entertained but your polished bitchiness.

Brilliant

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I would say: Unfortunatly this guest's expectations are  much more suited to a hotel or serviced accommodation. 

I've had a few complaining guests, but mostly because they were expecting a hotel and complained about things that were clear in the profile. Make sure things like the house age and ficture types are clear (by words or photos) in the profile, and then you can also, in the review you leave of them, make it clear that they grumbled about unchangable things which should have been known to them.

Hi,

I think we just get some difficult guests occasionally, who find something to complain about... when the next guests are very happy and appreciative of the same place. I think most people looking for a place can get a feel for the place fromthe positive reviews.

Good luckwith the next guests and don\t take it personally.

Kate

Debbie538
Level 2
Calgary, Canada

I have a question or maybe just a comment or two.  My husband and two dogs cut short a trip by one day.  We are not snobs or pretentious.  Is it wrong to be upset about not having new unused soap, a clean bbq,  a clean hot tub and an abundance of nice clean towels/face cloths?  The place was older and had a bit of a musty odor and was a bit run down.  That wasn’t the issue and with two dogs we aren’t that fussy.  I just expected the basics and would have at least swept the deck and top of the hot tub cover of pine needles.  We asked for a refund and were told to review the policies....I do not want to leave an ignorant review or trash the owner but am very disappointed with our experience.   Any suggestions on what to do.  Is it better just to let it go.  We have used VRBO a few times without any real issues.  One of the owners thanked us for leaving the place so clean.  I know that pet owners get a bad rap so I always leave the properties very clean so we would be welcomed back and not jeopardize future guests with pets.  Advice please.

@Debbie538Of course you should have arrived to unused soap, a clean bbq (if the bbq was advertised as an amenity) and a clean hot tub. And certainly clean towels, although "an abundance" not necessarily. I give my guests 2 bath towels, a face towel and a washcloth for a week's stay. Many times the 2nd bath towel is never used. (I looked after a friend's Airbnb for a month where the 2 guests had access to a closet full of towels and managed to dirty 17 bath towels in a week- this sort of thing is why hosts don't provide unfettered access to towels).

Airbnb protocol for guests, though, is that if the guest arrives to find the listing unacceptable in some way, you first contact the host to see if they can rectify the problems, if they can't or won't or are unresponsive, you then contact Airbnb. They willeither try to find you alternate accomodation, or give you some extra $ to offset maybe having to book a hotel or something at a higher price. You don't just stay for your entire booking and then ask for a refund after the fact. Staying without going through the above steps indicates that the place was acceptable to you.

Ordinarily I'd tell you to leave an honest review mentioning the issues. But it's not fair to the host to give a bad review if you didn't give them an opportunity to correct the issues. Perhaps they have a cleaning person who didn't do a proper job and they were totally unaware of that and would have been horrified to find that fresh soap wasn't put out, towels were scanty and musty, etc. and come right over to deal with all of that.