Listing Feedback

Wayne146
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Listing Feedback

Hi All

I'm completely new to this and keen to get some feedback. We've just done up my flat and posted on Sat. Here is the listing: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/33460940?s=51

What do you think? Would you stay here? Any feedback, tips etc welcome!

Thanks in advance

Wayne

16 Replies 16
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Wayne146The text is really good, but I think photos could use some improvements. I would add a picture of the kitchen. Also, overall they're quite dark. I would open the blinds and take them with as much natural light as possible. In the bedroom photos, maybe make the bed look a bit more inviting: think a hotel-style photo with ironed linens and maybe some more pillows. It would also be nice to add some exterior photos, or photos of your neighbourhood. 20+ photos is generally a good number for a listing. 

Paul41
Level 4
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Hi Wayne , I think you could ask a bit more as it seems cheap especially considering the location. It does seem small but again thats the price of the location, You could have smoothed the bedsheets and again it would be nice to see the kitchen, Why not pay for a proffessional photographer its only about £50 and will make the listing stand out. Also some pictures and walking distances to some attractions as the location is the special thing about your listing. 

@Wayne146 

As quite a few people already suggested-you need to invest in a professional  photographer.  The photos are too dark, amateurish and do not highlight the lovely features of your flat.  Layer some blankets and throw pillows on your beds to make them visually more attractive.  Make sure the comforters are not wrinkled.  And yes, pics of the kitchen please!  Good luck and keep us updated!  🙂

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

@Wayne146The listing looks good - nice use of red, which really pops in photos. Also your bathroom looks gorgeous! Can you add one taken from a bit further away to give a better sense of its size? I'd also suggest a bit more art on the walls would "cozy it up" a bit.

As Alexandra suggested, maybe try to take some brighter photos of the lounge and add a pic of the kitchen.

Also: a small thing: "dining room" has only one "n", not two. (I know, grammar police!)

All the best with your hosting career!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Wayne146 Agree with @Jennifer1421 @Alexandra316 and @Paul41, and wanted to add:  you have three pictures of the dining room table - too redundant.  The duvet on the bed is wrinkled.  Smooth it out before taking a pic and as @Alexandra316 says bring in more natural light throughout.  Add a photo of the front of the building and maybe one or two nearby attractions.

To the question, would I stay there?  No, because it's too inexpensive and that would make me think it won't be nice.  But I'm not your audience.  And that's important to remember:  you can't be all things to all people.  But you will have a very successful listing, I'm sure of it.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Wayne146  I find your photos redundant. 3 photos of the living room, 3 of the dining table, not one photo of the kitchen, the view (if there is one) or the surrounding area, and bed looks like someone just got up out of it and hastily threw the duvet back on. 

Bed- I'd get a bedspread- just something to keep the bedding clean, doesn't have to be thick or expensive. Also more pillows on the bed- many people read in bed at night and one pillow isn't enough to prop yourself up in a sitting position. They'll be taking the couch pillows into the bedroom and they'll end up on the floor. It's also nice for guests to have a choice of pillows- pillow preferences are quite individual. I have a thinner, synthetic pillow and a thicker feather pillow for guests (I only host 1 person, so they get 2 pillows). 

Yes, as another host suggested, some art on the walls, looks pretty barren. The choices here are myriad- paintings, framed photos or posters, tapestries, even some good kid's art. Doesn't have to be a lot, but just a focus to liven up the space.

I also like your choice of red as an accent color, very nice.

Wayne146
Level 2

Thanks for all the feedback and tips! I'll definitely be actioning these over the weekend! Just putting the finishing touches on redecorating the kitchen so pics to follow and plan on getting professional photos thereafter.

I've had a lot of bookings already which is quite surprising, so I wonder if it's too cheap as some have mentioned, but keen to get our first guests in and get feedback before I hike the price up. Not sure if this is the right way to go about it but seemed like a good starting point.

@Wayne146Keeping the price low until you get your first few reviews is a well-established strategy, and does seem to help. Just don't make it so low that you get undesirable guests.

Wayne146
Level 2

Thanks, great advice there

@Wayne146 Yes, as @Alexandra316 said, we all did that.  Get your reviews and then go high!   When I did that, my bookings doubled.  🙂

Wayne146
Level 2

Thanks everyone, so helpful, great community so far!

Can anyone give me guidance on pricing strategies vs target market or point me to any analytics?

Thanks
Wayne

@Wayne146There are quite a few tools available to help with pricing, such a Wheelhouse. I tried it myself, and I found it wasn't accurate in my extremely small rural market: I'm sure it would work much better where you are. They do offer a free trial, and it may be worth a try. 

I would not use Airbnb's pricing tools or recommendations: they are often ludicrously low. If you don't want to use a paid tool like Wheelhouse, I would go with your own research: see what your competitors are charging and charge accordingly. It will at least give you a starting point and you can tweak it over time as you get a better feel for how you're doing. 

Wayne146
Level 2

My bookings have suddenly stopped. I got 10 within 72 hours roughly and now it's dead. Seems strange but then I'm a newbie. Could this be sonsometh to do with our listing?

Wayne146
Level 2

So my bookings have just stopped. Got 10 in the first 72 hours and now none since Monday/Tuesday. Am I doing something wrong, even lowered the prices and nothing?