My husband and I have been Airbnb guests for a few years, and we just started hosting two months ago. So far, we have had ~10 guest groups, and a maddening, albeit small, issue with two of them: 4 stars for location, putting us at a current average of 4.5 stars. As a guest, I have never given anyone less than 5 stars on location for one reason: I always know the location of the Airbnb beforehand. I make sure that it will fulfill the goals that I want to achieve while I am staying in that particular place. If my main goal is to see the Cristo in Rio and I chose an Airbnb that's far away from the Cristo, that's totally on me as an Airbnb guest!

In our particular situation as hosts, we're seeing a trend. We live in Boulder (Colorado), and guests are motivated to come here for one of three reasons: to visit someone at the University of Colorado, to hike/run/bike the trails, or to go to Pearl Street (downtown). What I'm noticing is that both guests who left 4 stars were here to visit Pearl Street, which is an 8 minute drive from our house. CU and trails are very close to us, so guests who are interested in one of those two things never knock us on location.

I have read defensive responses from Airbnb that claim the "Location" rating will guide potential guests in their decision to stay at a place. But I don't think Airbnb makes it clear what "Location" really means. It is very subjective. For one person, an Airbnb might be in a good location because it's in a safe neighborhood. For another person, it may be in a good location because it's near cafés, restaurants, and the mountains. For the next person, it may be in a crummy location because it's not in the heart of downtown. 

Listen, I know that people don't read or do their research, especially when using the "Instant Book" feature. I get that. However, location is the one thing that a guest has an exact idea of before booking. It's impossible to lie about where you are ... Airbnb shows you a map of the area! If the location doesn't appeal to the guest for his or her particular needs for the trip, then they simply should not book the Airbnb. The host should not be penalized for a guest's mistake. If you arrive at my place and it's filthy, not as pictured, or my communication is awful, then that's my fault. But if you arrive and just then realize that you can't step out the door and suddenly you're downtown ... that's on you. 

Here's my appeal to Airbnb to get rid of the "Location" rating. There's no way to be objective about it, and the guest has all necessary location information beforehand. 

61 Replies 61

While I'm still frustrated about the "Location" rating, I have to admit that your message made me feel better. I do wish that Airbnb would get rid of it, but still ... it seems that people will always find something that isn't right. Like, someone docking because the Super used cleaning product X instead of cleaning product Y is ridiculous!

I think what we are finding with guests is that they all have totally different perceptions (as you mentioned). For me, location is completely relative to what I'm in the area for. For example, I am going to Tampa in December for a business trip. To find accommodations, I typed in the address of where I need to be for work into the Airbnb search, and I found an Airbnb close to that place. For me, the location will be five stars because it's a convenient walk to where I'm working. For someone else, that same location probably won't be as good because that guest may have an interest in going to the beach (or whatever).

I am inclined to agree with you that the data will be used -- or is being used -- for something else. Still, it's such an eye roll-inducing thing. We had guests leave two days ago (five college kids) who gave us 5 stars on location and even mentioned that they liked the location in the review, bumping us back up to a 5 star average. Then, the fellow who left today left us a generous review and 5 stars in everything but location, where he rated us a 3 (pulling our average back down). I suppose the only solution is to get on board with your particular attitude, which is that you can't change human perception. Thanks for the pick-me-up!

@Lindsey-and-Hernán0   "product X instead of cleaning product Y is ridiculous!"   Yes, and there are apparently even more ridiculous attitudes. There is a thread somewhere on this forum:  guests marked hosts down because the birds started singing too early, the soap was too soapy and a whole collection of crazy complaints. In this business there are always a few "extra-special" guests, luckily it seems I have had my quota, guests I have now are great and it helps not to worry about the stars if you have done all you can.

However, the location rating does impact your average!  To date, I do not agree to include the location factor, but on second thought, it is necessary. You cannot assume everyone reads or does his research on a particular  area. Maybe Airbnb purposely must include it as a legal disclaimer for potential law suits in questionable or high crime areas. As a host, we should note any possible danger in our area. Our Airbnb listing must address or note a safety alert or warning for potential guests. Make sure all entrances are well lit. I always advise my guests not to walk back at night from the train station. They can take a cab or call me to pick them up. Nothing serious has happened in my town, but I don't wish to take a chance. I shall address this issue in my location. It's better to be proactive! 

Right, but ... in our case, Boulder is an incredibly safe city. Addressing the safety issue is moot because there truly isn't an unsafe area here. So, when we get docked for "Location", I assume that means someone didn't find our residential, family-friendly area to be hip enough. 

That's why I think the location ratings are bogus: docked stars on our listing probably means, again, that our area isn't the "cool" area of town. However, for another listing in another city, docked stars could mean the place is unsafe. I just find "location" to be too vague of a term/concept!

Arnold11
Level 6
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Hello everyone, 

I completely agree, that "Location" rating has to be removed, as it is unfair to put less than 5 stars for it. The guests see the location before booking, it is not hidden and unfortunately, it is the only thing I cannot change. I cannot simply just take my flat and move it somewhere else. 

In your particular case, it's interesting to read through the reviews and see that many consider your location to be a perk. The most recent guest evidently did not see it that way. Prime example of how people have completely differerent perceptions. As you say, it is incredibly frustrating because, really, what can you as a host do about that? If people want to stay in the center of Edinburgh, great ... they should pay the extra to do so! When they choose a place that's not near the attraction that they want to visit, then I'd say that is their problem. It is a pity that we get penalized for it. 😕

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

IF location is not 'influencing' overall ratings then why would Airbnb have it in the first place? Their claim that it doesn't is silly. It is plausible Airbnb originally was thinking of something else - like safety. or something else related to location, such was the location quiet or attractive. Which begs the question, when the guest thinks or judges 'Location', are they thinking of something else other than distances to where they are headed? If so, then that somewhat solves the mystery for the strange star ratings. One thing for sure, 'Location' is so subjective it is hard for hosts to address or figure out how the guests are rating it.

The only thing Airbnb should take into consideration is the actual Airbnb room, apt or home. The location should be irrelevant. They can ask this question, but they should not rate it. This summer I stayed at a famous hotel in a great beautiful area with friends. However, this hotel was not refurbished. Looked like a decaying carcass.  The cleaning was very sloppy. Dust under bed and dresser. Tub not draining.  I would never stay at another one of their chains. Yuk! 

"decaying carcass". What a great description.

Clare-and-Coco0
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Completely agree, i have mentioned on another post that i had someone purposely book my room because it was on the same road as she lived and wanted her mother and sister to stay due to close proximity, however gave 3 * for location???!!

People can be petty.

Clare & Coco

Ezrie0
Level 2
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

hi @Lindsey-and-Hernán0

I also having the same problem. I always have a low rating on the location. It is clearly stated that my place is at lease 10mins from city centre. And im pretty sure my price justifies it where the price is lesser double compare to the city centre.  It puzzles me, dint they even read at all?  i mean, if you know the location is not central, why book then rate low later? or if you dint know, dont you think the price justifies it?

I believe that you have to be very explicit in the message of your place, without trying to cover much, that is, if you are in the center of the city, just say "enjoy the city" .... nothing more. I think that the guests get higher expectations based on the message that is delivered. I also agree that the location should not be a valuable item.

Karin12
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

I was also finding myself frustrated with many 4/5 ratings on location. My home is in a suburb of Ottawa and I explicitly describe how far I am from the city centre by car and public transportation. I have taken to asking guests once their booking is confirmed and they have my actual address to verify or confirm that my location will be suitable for their trip purposes. Most of the time they say yes and that they have checked the location and I find that generally this helps cut down on poor location reviews because they know what to expect.

A couple days ago I had a guest who flew in to Ottawa, was attending a conference at a conference centre downtown but booked with me. I asked him to verify the location and he said he had a car so it should be ok. When he arrived he verbally told me it was "worth the drive" because clearly he seemed pleased with the appearance of the room. I didn't have a lot of interaction with him while he was in the home as he stayed mostly in his room. Today I get his review and he gave us 3/5 on location! There were other issues (broke a rule and left toilet seat up multiple times, and parked in my parking spot on the driveway) but I didn't bring any of these things up with him in person while he was still there. The rest of the review was also poor as he gave us 4/5 across the board for everything else. I'm baffled, but fortunately this guy just seems to be a weird one and not the norm. I had to remind myself that in 15 more reviews it will be water under the bridge even though it smarts a little right now.

Alfred28
Level 1
Springville, CA

Lindsey, good going gal!

Al Farr, Springville, CA Bunkhouse

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Lindsey-and-Hernán0

You say >>> "guests are motivated to come here for one of three reasons: to visit someone at the University of Colorado, to hike/run/bike the trails, or to go to Pearl Street (downtown). What I'm noticing is that both guests who left 4 stars were here to visit Pearl Street, which is an 8 minute drive from our house. CU and trails are very close to us, so guests who are interested in one of those two things never knock us on location."

If I may offer some sugestion, I would put something like the following lines in the begining of your listing description.

"If you want to visit Colorado University or go for hiking and trails, my location can be the right place for you!!"
Reinforce also something that can please some kind of guests, such as "silence" if it is one the qualities of your listing, and whatsoever.

In the end of the description (or where you thing it is better) put something like that
"Things to consider before booking: It is 8 minutes drive from Pearl Street / downtown".

By doing that, putting the best location features in one of the first lines of the description, in a very visible position, you may attract guests that suit best your listing in terms of location.