My husband and I have been Airbnb guests for a few years, and we just started hosting two months ago. So far, we have had ~10 guest groups, and a maddening, albeit small, issue with two of them: 4 stars for location, putting us at a current average of 4.5 stars. As a guest, I have never given anyone less than 5 stars on location for one reason: I always know the location of the Airbnb beforehand. I make sure that it will fulfill the goals that I want to achieve while I am staying in that particular place. If my main goal is to see the Cristo in Rio and I chose an Airbnb that's far away from the Cristo, that's totally on me as an Airbnb guest!

In our particular situation as hosts, we're seeing a trend. We live in Boulder (Colorado), and guests are motivated to come here for one of three reasons: to visit someone at the University of Colorado, to hike/run/bike the trails, or to go to Pearl Street (downtown). What I'm noticing is that both guests who left 4 stars were here to visit Pearl Street, which is an 8 minute drive from our house. CU and trails are very close to us, so guests who are interested in one of those two things never knock us on location.

I have read defensive responses from Airbnb that claim the "Location" rating will guide potential guests in their decision to stay at a place. But I don't think Airbnb makes it clear what "Location" really means. It is very subjective. For one person, an Airbnb might be in a good location because it's in a safe neighborhood. For another person, it may be in a good location because it's near cafés, restaurants, and the mountains. For the next person, it may be in a crummy location because it's not in the heart of downtown. 

Listen, I know that people don't read or do their research, especially when using the "Instant Book" feature. I get that. However, location is the one thing that a guest has an exact idea of before booking. It's impossible to lie about where you are ... Airbnb shows you a map of the area! If the location doesn't appeal to the guest for his or her particular needs for the trip, then they simply should not book the Airbnb. The host should not be penalized for a guest's mistake. If you arrive at my place and it's filthy, not as pictured, or my communication is awful, then that's my fault. But if you arrive and just then realize that you can't step out the door and suddenly you're downtown ... that's on you. 

Here's my appeal to Airbnb to get rid of the "Location" rating. There's no way to be objective about it, and the guest has all necessary location information beforehand. 

61 Replies 61

@Alice-and-Jeff0 I cringe every time our guests insist on walking to the train station. I always ask them to call me at night to pick them up.  It's fairly safe, but I get all stressed out. Usually, if I go into the city by train,  I have  my husband pick me up or I leave my car near the RR station.

It's like any town USA with some homeless hanging out, urine smell, debris. There is no one to enforce these quality of life infractions. We have become so complacent. No one seems to care if you must step over garbage!  

@Welcome0 - first of all, is your first name really "Welcome"?  That's pretty unique.  

That walk from the station to your home over the homeless, urine, and debris does set a tone - agreed - those are definitely issues about "location".  But at what distance do we judge "location".... is it that unpleasant walk from the station that was not recommended the guest take or is it about the immediate neighborhood of the home? Is it about how far you are from some touristy spot?  Should the guest mark down location for an airport that is farther away than expected, or that traffic was heavy and it took longer?  Airbnb will say it's about "perception" of the guest - so the guest misrepresents that the homeless are actually on your street, maybe sleeping in your doorway, Airbnb will say it's okay for them to put that in their review.  Location has and will always be a problem with reviews which is why they don't factor them into your overall star review or include them in Super Host status.  It's too nebulous and poorly defined and Airbnb knows this.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0 My town happens to be very safe, but generally speaking in most towns near RR stations you will have vagrants hanging out. Our station is one of the major hubs on LI.  I love to walk all over town, so I see the debris along the roadways. I don't wish to have it impact my Airbnb rating with the location issue. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What Airbnb should do is separate Location from the other relevant ones like Cleanliness, Value, etc. Maybe add other sub-categories.

~IF~ Location doesn't influence the overall stats, leaving it about the middle (#4) appears as it does, and it is serving to look like an important category. Hosts gets 5,5,5,4,5,5, yet the rating is a perfect 5. Huh? It looks like a bad location got averaged up by the others, and the otherwise-excellent listing has indeed a bad location. It illuminates a negative, yet it is not suppose to really be part of the overall rating. Oh come on.

Location and the 'Request to cancel' option for guests to send to hosts, are just two very foolish things in their system. They will change it sooner or later, because they are genuinely dumb things in an otherwise bright system.  Someone in Airbnb, will finally get everyone together and get them to throw in the towel on these two should-be obvious absurdities.

Nancy124
Level 2
Springfield, PA

I have about 20-30% of my guests rating the location 4 or lower, which makes my "location" rating average 4.4. And most of them provide no reason about this rating, while some of them say they don't feel safe about the neighborhood. The neighborhood is diversified I think that's why those people don't like it.  It's within the University Police patrol area and there are officers patrolling 24hours. I used to live there for a couple years never had any problem. Also I had a couple hundred guests none of them ever had an issue. I don't know what I can do with this. My 5-star trips is about 70% and this is the only thing blocking me from being a superhost. 

@Nancy0 I agree with you. We should not be punished for failing to live in sparkling ocean - front villas. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that Airbnb should not take a deduction for location.   Don't ignore the location, but identify it only to establish the physical surroundings. Is it safe? Is it attractive? Is it an Industrial area? Is it a slum? Great night life?  Location should be a question only for information purposes.   Lately my neighborhood is changing before my eyes. There is nothing I can do about it. I've lived here for over 35 years, but I live in the old part of town not far from the train station. There is an influx of people of various ethnic backgrounds moving into my town. They don't always adhere to the old rules. Most likely they are moving out of the congested big cities and finally  buying their dream house. It looks like we're all playing musical chairs...   

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I can appretiate how 'Location' is so frustrating for many hosts. Perhaps Airbnb was thinking in broader terms, when it included it in its star system. Does replacing it with the word: 'Area' make more sense? Or would that open another can of worms?

@Fred0 It will definitely open the door to other issues, but maybe to our benefit.  My guests express surprise when they enter and see the  spacious AREA of the apartment.  The garden AREA are  also refreshing after a day in the city. No, AREA would open more focused QUESTIONS about the neighborhood.  

Let's just get rid of rating LOCATION. Too Subjective!  Airbnb should only establish type of area.

Business? Residential? Commercial?  Industrial? Suburban? City? Coop? Apartment? Farming? Beachfront? Lakefront? 

Other?  

Annette130
Level 2
Brisbane City, Australia

Its so frustrating . My guest review says maybe difficult for people to travel by dinghy to get to the boat.There isn't really another way to get there. Apart from swim,,,watch the crocodiles,,,here in Far north Queensland Australia. that would be more difficult. So my next guest says I was so worried about the dinghy transfer...but it's a piece of cake. Glad when that review becomes buried my many other glowing ones. 🙂

@Annette0 You made a rock solid case against rating a LOCATION. Luv it! I can just visualize you paddling that dinghy! If the Corporate heads @Airbnb2.COM don't get the drift on this issue with this exchange by hosts, than they deserve to be thrown  overboard to the crocodiles!!!  Thanks! 

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

If AirBnB wants to have location as an item to value, they need to have a checklist that goes with it so at least the host can see what the guest is seeing.  I've had a 4.0 for value for absolutely NO reason except I think because they left a day early they wanted a refund even though I didn't charge them for arriving at 4AM the day of their reservation when check in is 3PM, and I waited up until 4AM and they didn't ask for a refund.  I had a 4.0 for cleaning even though I gave the guests a discount and they were three construction workers who most likely made the mess themeslves.  The last 4.0 was really a winner because it was for location.  The guest was visiting their relative at the university in town.  I am the ONLY place in town to stay except a real BnB and a motel that requires a 3 night stay.  I am walking distance to the university, yet she gave me 4 stars for location.  I'm sure it was because I wasn't closer to tourist attractions even though her purpose was to visit a student.  If AirBnB had a check list, they could be more specific on their reason for less than 5 stars especially for location and value.

Yan3
Level 10
Hong Kong

Highly agree. Airbnb, please take note!

Goran26
Level 3
Dania Beach, FL

I had a guest who rented our cabin on the mountain and then was surprised that he had to drive up the mountain to the cabin. He called me upon arrival to complain about that and stairs to the cabin. It was obvious he didn't bother reading the description. I offered him refund for everything beyond that one night. One night with cleaning fee adds up to expensive nightly rate. He accepted my offer and then left a review ranking location 2s and value 2s. In hundreds of reviews I've had over the years I've never received anything below 3s and that was extremely rare. This was enough to drop my ratings below superhost for the first time since superhost was introduced years ago. I called Airbnb and they didn't care. So after years of listing exclusively with Airbnb I listed on other websites.

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Just to add my two cents to the rant, I advertise my place as being super duper close to the airport as the main selling point, and I also say that I am nearby beach cities and in LA terms I am on the westside and about a 15-20 minute drive so not too bad at all. I got a 4 star from recent guests because although I was near the airport I wasn't right near the beaches. Perhaps I should move my house and LA International Airport, too, while I am at it. Also you can bet that if I was next to LAX and right near the beach I would be charging 4x the price that I do charge. I really hate the location rating!

@Valerie0 On top of it Valerie, you've got a great sense of humor! You can't buy that with any money. If it wasn't for us, on the other side of the tracks,  offering our humble homes for Airbnb's use, Airbnb.Com would have no business. We have to work twice as hard to compensate for the shortcomings of the area or what happens outdoors. No, it's not fair to be graded on the location. When will Airbnb start listening to their dedicated Hosts? Hosts, are Airbnb bread and butter!  A Superhost's Rant!  Amen!