Locks on shared doors between guest suite and owners' unit - advice?

Locks on shared doors between guest suite and owners' unit - advice?

Hi there,

I'd love some advice. My listing is a guest suite attached to a larger house. The back of the house is lived in by the owners and the front by guests. There are three doors that attach the two units. All of them are locked on the owners' side. I am wondering if it is necessary to also provide locks on the guests' side to help them feel more secure? Is that necessary?

thanks!

3 Replies 3
Natasha45
Level 7
Athens, GA

Yes. I would feel more comfortable, as a guest, with a lock on my side of the door! 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

We don't. I would never allow myself to be locked out of my own property. No guest has ever expressed any complaint or concern.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Well, the guest bathroom is located between my room and the guest room- there is a door from the bathroom into my room and one on the opposite side of the bathroom to the guest room. When I don't have guests, I use that bathroom for morning pee stop and the occasional shower, when I have a guest, it is exclusively theirs and the door is locked from the guest side, ie. inside the bathroom. I could easily stick a screwdriver in the knob to open it from my side, as it is a bathroom knob and they are designed like that, but no guest has ever complained or expressed concern that I could, in fact, open that door, so I don't think the locks issue within your own home is a big deal, unless you've had guests mention it.

You are trusting strangers in your home to treat it respectfully,  guests need to have some trust in their hosts that they won't just enter and abuse their privacy.