Long term guests - daily complaint and demands

Joanna105
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Long term guests - daily complaint and demands

Hi all I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers here.

I have been hosting for 1 year and most guests have been pleased with my place. Its definitely an older place hence the price is cheaper and I have all the photos to show.

I had a family stayed at my listing (entire apartment) for 40 nights. They checked in last week and since then its been complaints and demands every single day.

List of items:

- Before check in she wants me to help her daughter research (and may reguster) for summer camps, I rejected but send them websites for reference.

- Day of check in they wanted to check in at 12noon even though I said 515pm is the earliest (I have 6pm on my listing). She started sending me photos of her kids sleeping in the mall at 2pm because they are tired and just got off a plane, and a few rude comments on how unaccomodating I am. When I checked them in at 445pm, they said i'm late and gave me attitude during the whole check in process. 

- They wanted me to take them to Costco, which requires membership to get in. I told them I don't have that...and they said I should get one. 

- Complaint about smell of garbage from outside, which is unheard of in a year of hosting. But I still went and moved everything to another corner just to make her happy. She still complained to me, but the garbage is removed from site so there is really no smell all around anymore. I already sent a complaint to building manager and he mentioned no one complained either.

- Complaint on mosquitos at midnight...again unheard of since Vancouver apartments should not have any mosquitoes. Plus I know they went hiking the day before so its obvious where the bites are from.

- Request to install screen door. I'm looking into it in order to make her happy.

- Request to black out all possible windows. Claimed that the sun will wake them up at 3am every morning. Sunrise in Vancouver does not start until 5am really. But Again I'm working on getting everything covered.

- Fridge is dripping water and leaking water into the humidity container. I went there and cleaned it up but couldn't locate any problem and it hasn't 'drip' (most likely from their groceries but just a guess). They want a new fridge anyhow.

I'm exhausted dealing with all these daily demands with new items I have to replace and fix for them. Can I offer them an exit if they are not happy? They booked my place early in the year so they got it for cheap (maybe 25% lower than market price). Will that hurt my rating? From what they are complaining every day, I'm not gonna get a good review anyways.

Any suggestions? With all the harrassing and negative comments every day, its really tough to put on a smile when I see them. I have another other apartment next to theirs for Airbnb and that's running smoothly at the moment with no complaints and good reviews.

25 Replies 25

these people are taking advantge of your good nature. you have to put a polite stop to it or it will continue until they leave. you are not their personal assistant. you might want to call airbnb and see if there is some place else they can stay if things get worse.

that's what I'm thinking. long term guests are supposed to be low stress and less money with bigger discount. But I have been there almost every single day since they checked in. Do you think Airbnb will help if I call in or email?

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I would write a short,  very clear and firm email setting boundaries.

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Joanna105 I am sorry you need to deal with this. I agree with @Kenneth12 that you need to communicate to them about boundaries. You've been really nice (nicer than what I'd have been). I never entertain request that crosses the line. I want to make sure that my guests understand that I am the one who own and run the place and they cannot dictate me to do this and that. I always provide what I promise on the listing, but I would not bend backwards to "make guests happy". It seems like they are (or pretty close to) taking advantage of you. They cannot order you around to get new this and that. New fridge?! Do they know how much does a fridge cost? Asking you to get a costco membership? Why don't they get one themselves? Asking you to take them to costco? You are their host and not their driver. This is like a snowball that will get bigger and bigger unless you make it clear (to set boundaries). Best wishes.

I doubt I'd be covering any windows!   The offering is the offering and if "as is" as listed,  what they agreed to.  I might kindly offer the door and that you'll consider a partial refund if there is a rebooking.  I would not entertain a new fridge :).

I have metal blinds on the windows actually, and the room has a 18' ceiling while the windows are up top with all blinds closed all year long. I'm surprised they made that claim. Anyhow dark fabric is cheap and I'll give it my best shot before my resort.

Leah50
Level 3
Columbia, SC

If its not offered in the listing you dont have to comply. You arent a butler, you're a landlord. 

Leah50
Level 3
Columbia, SC

It sucks that reviews have started to dictate our lives! These are OUR HOMES! Seeing your hard work boiled down to a 1 star review is heart breaking! I even SPELL OUT the room and its contents. I've renamed my listings to expect the bare minimun. Because folks think a $40 room should be equal to the $200 hotel up the street. I dread ANY booking from a 50-75 year old, baby boomers are high maintenance! BIG SURPRISE! If you get a bad review, Guess what? you can give one back. Follow your first instinct, dont be a door mate.

Colleen47
Level 10
Frisco, CO

Wow @Joanna105

she must have mistaken you for a concierge at a five star hotel. So sorry to hear about such rude entitled guests. I would definitely send a message through Airbnb so it is documented and move on lady!!! Places are listed as is, and she should have asked more questions or booked elsewhere if she was unhappy with windows etc...

Joanna105
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Thank you all for letting me know that I'm not the whiny one! With all her complaints it made me judged myself a bit.

She is very smart in the way that she will call me on those super unreasonable requests like Costco and such, but then she will message me on Airbnb to complain about garbage smell or mosquitos.

I bought some dark fabric and that 'as seen on TV' magnetic screen door today, as well as called a handyman into the apartment to look into the fridge thing. By tomorrow all her complaints should be fixed, and I can honestly say I tried my best to accomodate her.

If there are more lemons coming my way, I'll talk to her about getting another place. But no way I'll issue any refund. I spent enough to make her happy.

Do you think Airbnb will help in these kind of scenario when it comes to that?

@Joanna105 this is good question! I think you should now write on your ABB message board everything what she requested by phone and what you did about it (early check in, new window curtains, fridge repair...) so if she will try to get a refund ABB case manager will see that you really tried and she is really high maintanance. 

My advice would be : learn how to say NO. And say it as soon as someone asks for something what is not listed and you don't offer. It will stop the avalanche of further requests. 

@Joanna105 - I would stop accepting any phone calls from them, and say it's prohibited to discuss anything relating to your Airbnb home outside of the platform app.  Because, yes, they're working the system.  I'm so sorry you're dealing with this!  I would also mention, too, the next time they may ask for something NEW that you don't currently have in your space, "I'm sorry, but when you booked this space, you were aware by the listing pictures and information that my space does not offer xyz."  I don't think that's rude!  It is always the people that expect you to bend over backwards who give poor reviews, unfortunately.  

Everyone is correct about keeping all conversations through AirBnB. I have had to tell guests "Sorry, but that is not a service we can provide. The nearest place for that, or a nifty app for that, is xxxxx." I would even go so far as to say "Well, I'm going to call AirBnB and ask them about that. I'm not sure that is covered under my agreement with them." Be sure to tell her that AirBnB said you have to keep all communications through their platform and you won't be responding to texts or calls from this point on.

Nico38
Level 2
Anguilla

If it is just about income, I suggest you create 1 more same listing with appropriate price. If there are better bookings getting confirmed, you could quit her.

If it is also about too much trouble and effort and income is not a big concern, I suggest you just quit.