Long term reservation cancellation

Linda337
Level 2
Rogersville, TN

Long term reservation cancellation

Had a reservation for 12/10 to 5/1. On 12/9, she cancelled stating that her mother had died. ABB refunded $6k+ of the $8k she paid up front. They sent us the balance of approx $1700.  During the course of our conversations about her cancellation, she mentioned that ABB to,d her she needed to provide a copy of the death certificate. She was not able to do so at that time. 

Before any issues came up, I refunded 1/2 of the money ABB sent us explaining to her that we felt this was fair as our place was blocked off for such a substantial amount of time. We are not trying to be unfair and I do feel for this person who may or may not be telling the truth. 

She asked for the balance this afternoon, in a none too happy way. Ultimately, I told her that when she provided that death certificate to ABB, I would refund the remaining amount. 

When end I got this new request, it came with the option of offer another amount, accept, decline, send a message. As of right now, I sent her a message explaining the above about the certificate.  Now .... what am I required to do with that accept, decline option?

Thanks for listening and for your help. Obviously this is a new situation to us. We generally operate on the honor system and have had good luck with that policy. Something about this situation feels ... unusual. 

3 Replies 3

@Linda337:

The bottom line is that guests can (and will) say anything to get their money refunded. As a host it is difficult to tell if the story is a lie or not so we don't even try. Our policy is that we will not refund any more money than Airbnb already has and refer the guest to the cancellation policy they agreed to. However, if we are able to re-book the nights of the cancelled days then we will provide a refund for those days after we receive the funds from Airbnb and a few days after the guests have left to make sure they don't make any refund requests.

Thank you so much for the input. Very helpful!!
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Linda337

Decline - you are being taken for a ride. I am surprised someone who's Mum has died has the time or interest to chase for every penny during what must be a tryng and difficult time for her. You have been more than fair and  accepted the risk of taking her on as a guest - she also has to accept some risk (such as a family bereavement).