Loss of Super Host status in spite of getting bereavement acknowledgment and much sympathy

Julia94
Level 2
Stonehaven, United Kingdom

Loss of Super Host status in spite of getting bereavement acknowledgment and much sympathy

Hi there

I have had only 5 star reviews consistently since starting with Air B&B 2yrs ago. I have also never cancelled a booking.

I operate in 2 cities but not at the same time. (Edinburgh and Stonehaven).
I recently had a major bereavement - my mother in Cape Town passed away and I live in Scotland - so I had to cancel all my summer bookings to be with her, as her only daughter. This was just the right thing to have done as she died of cancer that summer. I went to all the trouble of communicating this with various Air B&B staff, they cancelled the bookings on my behalf, I submitted a Death Certificate and people were very very sympathetic. I did not have bookings for a few months and then had a one night NY's Eve booking, for which I got a 5 star rave review.

But it seems like I have lost my Super Host Status regardless.

Please could someone investigate my case and help me get my status back.

Its been hard earned and I feel there must have been some mistake.

Many thanks Air B&B!
Julia

4 Replies 4

@Julia94, I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Regarding Superhost:  I don't see any cancellation notices on your profile, so I guess it isn't the cancellations. Did you have enough stays to qualify? I know you were not hosting for a while.

Julia94
Level 2

Hi Matthew

thanks for getting back to me. I did not host for the summer (June,July, August) My mother died in August and we don’t tend to have many visitors to Stonehaven in Sept and Oct - my bookings went very quiet and I did wonder whether it was because of the cancellations that had been excecute by Air B&B. 
New Year is always very popular and I got a fabulous booking and review for that.

I would have thought that the sympathy and generosity of Air B&B might last for several months beyond my mothers actual death....I had to be in South Africa, as her only daughter, to sort out her Estate and it was an all consuming activity, not to mention the emotianal aspect to it all.
I wonder if you might be able to reinstate my Super Host status, with all of this in mind?

I have never cancelled ever until this dreadful thing happened (cancer and death) and I have only had 5 star reviews over the 2 years that I have had an Air B&B account.
Could you help with this please? I would be so grateful!
Best wishes

Julia

Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Julia94 Hi Julia, I would expect the loss of status is simply due to you not meeting the criteria for the previous quarter - ie. 10 stays with associated high reviews. As @Matthew285 says there are no cancellations recorded against you. So once you again meet the quarterly criteria I would expect your Superhost status be reinstated. Although to be honest, it seems to make no difference to the bookings I get (I have not been a superhost in over 3 years of hosting) so I wouldn't lose sleep about it.

Julia94
Level 2

Thanks very much Gillian for your response! Yes these criteria are probably the ones, but I would still argue that having to manage a transcontinental bereavement as I had to, is all consuming and perhaps one should be allowed more leeway .....if felt like my account was blocked during the summer and I am a little suspicious as to my lack of bookings @Matthew