Manipulative Guest

Leiloni0
Level 4
San Diego, CA

Manipulative Guest

Recently, my listing was booked for 38 days starting on November 3rd. I already gave a discount for booking over 30 days but the guest requested an additional discount which I gave. My listing has a very explicit no pets policy and the guest made no indication she might have or want to bring an animal.

This afternoon, I received a message from Support stating the guest reported having an Emotional Support Animal and wanted to know if she could bring it along. I stated I would reach out to the guest to discuss the ESA.

I reached out to the guest this evening and requested documentation for the support animal, a picture, asked some questions as to the size and temperament of said animal, care arrangements while the guest is working/in school and also asked if she would be willing to pay an additional deposit.  The guest promptly told me that it was illegal to ask for an additional deposit which I looked up and it was true—I apologized and dropped it. The guest then stated she couldn’t upload a pickof her dog so I  agreed to meet the dog and the guest tomorrow evening.

No more than a five minutes after I agreed to meet with the guest, I received a call from Support stating that the guest called and expressed concern that I requested documentation of her ESA and a deposit. I was told i was not allowed to discriminate by asking for documentation of disability. I stated that I am not exactly comfortable with an animal in my home as I am not a pet owner myself and I am concerned with pet damage, noise and possible disagreements with my neighbors over the animal.

I found the whole experience off-putting as all the guest had to do in the first place was be upfront about her ESA, but she chose to involve Support and then complained because I asked questions. 

The guest only has two reviews which are 4-Star and sparing in their verbiage so it’s hard to get a feel for the type of guest she is. 

Now, I am wondering whether or not to move forward with the reservation as I feel this guest has acted in a manipulative manner. I don’t want to risk 38 days of having to tip-toe around my own house for fear that she’ll report me to Support for something I may not be aware I am doing to offend. 

Any advice?

30 Replies 30
Donna519
Level 4
Bali, Indonesia

Red flag - no doubt