Marketing a Basement

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Marketing a Basement

I have a huge, spacious and well-lit basement apartment.

Only the front is ground level, the rest is subterranean.

Normally, I don't market the subterranean aspect - I'm kind of embarrased about it. 

(Fortunately Airbnb's guests have had positive stays here, so my shame is unwarranted)

Now that it is summer, this apartment is wonderfully cool, in a city where A/C is not standard.

Question: How can I market this aspect of this apartment?

"Basement" has bad connotations. "Subterranean cool" still sounds a little scary.

"Naturally Cool apartment"? "Refuge from  summer sun"?

Thanks

3 Replies 3
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

"Underground" is cool, @Paul154. "Seattle Underground" would attract hipsters, and they are pretty clean, communicate well, eventually follow the house rules. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Paul154 My primary listing is exactly this setup. It even looks kind of similar. I hear your shame, but when it's mostly above ground, I don't think there is really anything to be ashamed of: it is what it is.

First of all: as per my cousin, who's both an Airbnb host and a real estate manager, omit the word "basement". It's apparently a dirty word. I would use the words walkout and/or lower level.  I use phrases like "located on the lower level of the home", and mention the walkout to the yard.

What about something like, "Because the apartment is located on the lower level of my home, the apartment stays nice and cool even during warmer summer weather"? If you're looking for a tagline, I think "naturally cool aparment" or "beat the summer heat" would both be fine.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Here in London they used to be considered quite downmarket, but estate agents (realators?) just invented another descriptor; 'Garden flat', 'Lower ground apartment' or some such made-up (but effective) name. Keep them bright and you won't have a problem, surely.