More guests than what was booked???

Elizabeth1411
Level 1
Menasha, WI

More guests than what was booked???

Hoping someone may have advice on the correct steps. We had a guest book for 1 person. My neighbors and cleaning lady confirmed there were four adults and four children staying at our home. Dirty dishes in sink and house not taken care of. What type of recourse do I have as a host as they just checked out an hour ago? 

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Elizabeth1411 

Your listing shows you charge a fee for every guest above the second one, including children above 2 years old.So you missed 6 time they additional fee. But as reservation has ended now, it can not be amended. You could try to charge the guest via the resolution centre for the extra money. But you need to provide proof of the amount of extra guests, if Airbnb is going to be involved. You stated the booking was made for 1 person, but i think that should ring bells anyway, as this entire house booked for only 1 person to stay seems rather unusual. (?)

Hope this helps,

Emiel

Heidi319
Level 2
Minnetrista, MN

Call Airbnb right away. If another guest checks in you can’t disbute 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Elizabeth1411I would just start by asking the guest in a non-confrontational way through Airbnb messenger. Maybe something like, "I think there may have been a mistake on your reservation: you were only booked for one person. It's an easy mistake to make on the app. [Aside: it actually is. I was booking on the weekend and almost accidentally booked for 1 instead of 2]. Can you let me know your group size so I can amend accordingly? Thanks!" Then if they respond with the number, you can send a request for more money, and you have it in writing if you need to get Airbnb involved. 

If they ignore it or lie, there isn't much you can do. You can send a request for money regardless, but if they don't confess to it, you don't really have proof. I would still consider calling Airbnb about it if they don't respond. Make sure you document the mess. 

I agree with Emil: if you get a booking for one person only, maybe just verify in future. Seems a bit odd. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Elizabeth1411, for an entire house listing, you can almost be assured that if a guest books for 1, they have not updated the field (Airbnb defaults to 1 guest.) Unless they specifically say "I am coming by myself to blah and blah." Always reach out to confirm. 

Alan475
Level 3
Angaston, Australia

We had a guest make a booking for 1 person, alarm bells did ring so we asked her to confirm the amount actually staying for the weekend. She replied 2 people for the 1st night and 5 for the second night. Mmm.... how do you charge for this?