Morning Quiet Hours

Bethany---Jarad0
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Morning Quiet Hours

The first floor of our townhome has two guest suites with private entrances that we're currently renting to a family of 6. It's their first time using airbnb. 
I was woken up at 7am by very loud violin practice going on for an hour. Our house rules say quiet hours after 10pm but we'll update it going forward to 10pm-8am. 

I sent the following message to the guest about an hour and a half later and am awaiting a response:

Hi Thomas,

Hope you guys have been enjoying your stay here so far! I understand morning quiet hours weren't listed in our house rules but since we are in a shared complex and sound travels we're hoping you could help us keep noise down from 10pm-8am as a courtesy to our neighbors if it's not too much trouble. We will be sure to list this for future guests but we hope you'll understand this will help keep our complex and community Airbnb friendly!

Very sorry to bother you with this, hope you have a beautiful day! Feel free to send a message anytime if you'd like any recommendations for your trip.

Thank you in advance,
Bethany + Jarad

This is our fourth week of having Airbnb guests so we're still fine tuning our house rules. I hate to have to disrupt a guests' stay or make them feel unwelcome by saying something like this but when someone doesn't have the common courtesy you'd expect I suppose it's just part of sharing a home together. We just bought this home a little over a month ago and are lucky the three other owners are open to Airbnb (one of them hosts as well) and don't want to cause any issues. 

I'm wondering how other hosts would have handled the situation?
Does anyone else have quiet hours for the morning? 

2 Replies 2
Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

@Bethany---Jarad0: You will have a solid one to two years of "I should have put that in the description". Some things will be a learning experience that you will have to shrug and say "next time". Other situations might need an immediate response.

In your situation (depending on how long they were staying) I would have probably just updated my quiet times on my Airbnb description while listening to smooth and crackling sounds of violin practice. We are very easy-going indivduals so it really takes a lot for us to be bothered. We also do not share any living space with guests as they have a guesthouse to themselves. 

Our quiet hours are after 11pm just because the pool is by our bedroom. We do not have morning quiet hours. 

Jan384
Level 3
Dübendorf, Switzerland

@Bethany---Jarad0

Well these are always the most difficult situations for us...

Let me share this story with you:

We rent out a room in our apartment. We also have a 1.5 year old daughter. My pregnant wife once ended up knocking on our guests doors at 2am after they repeatedly went from their room to the bathroom - always locking and unlocking the doors without using the handles - and asked them to please stop the noise. She was rather grumpy for not having been able to sleep. The guest ended up giving us a 4star review saying that everything was great (they wrote like 4 sentences) and then mentioned the incident saying it put them off slightly...

So from our point of view the best thing in that situation would have probably been for my wife to simply ignore the noise and not do anything about it.

What we tend to do however is ask guests on our initial welcome tour of the apartment to please be considerate and try to not make too much noise during the night. This tends to work very well as you let guests know what they "shouldn't" do beforehand. So they don't feel like being "told-off" for not following your rules.

(And no matter how great your description is... mostly the guests that aren't too considerate don't read the description. It's the considerate guests that read everything including our house manual and sort the recycling according to the photos and so on...)