Mostly venting about an unreasonable guest

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

Mostly venting about an unreasonable guest

After reading so many horror stories on this forum about guests with unreasonable expectations, and their ability to tank your ratings, I finally had a guest who was completely unreasonable, and left me a one star review.

Our listing is titled "Rustic Country Cottage" and we are the least expensive whole-house listing in the area. I try very hard in the description to be as honest as possible so that people know what to expect. Also, before confirming a reservation I always send a message saying that I want to check with them, as I do all potential guests, that they read the description carefully and looked at the pictures. I also reiterate that it's a funky little placeand definitely a fixer-upper. The guest who ended up leaving me the terrible review requested to book, and said she was coming for one night with her daughter and her sister, and went through the usual confirmation process. She assured me that they loved quirky places (although I never use that word in any of my communications or descriptions) and were fine with the rustic nature of the place. We exchanged several other messages about travel times and recommendations for dinner. and I went out of my way to be as helpful and informative as possible. On the day of their stay they arrived and checked in, no problem. They dropped off their stuff and left to go to dinner. A bit after they came back, she sent me a message asking for bug spray because there was a spider in her daughter's room. I responded that I'd be right down with it, but she immediately messaged me that they couldn't stay there, they had expected quirky (there's that word again) but not an "infestation" of spiders. She said they had made other arrangements and were leaving, and demanded a full refund. I immediately refunded the payout that I had received (it wasn't worth arguing, my profit margin is so small and I could tell it would be a major drama to battle with her) along with a polite a respectful message saying that I had cleaned and made all the beds a few hours earlier and I had not seen any spiders, that we did do regular pest control, but I was giving her a full refund of the payout I would have received. After I gave her the refund, she continued to send me a string of nasty messages. She said she hadn't studied arachnology so she couldn't say if the spider was poisionous, but there was not way she could put her daughter in an unsafe environment. She sent another message about how much I had inconvenienced her, how she had to book a more expensive place last minute, and I should have told her that there would be more bugs around this time of year so she could have booked somewhere else (we are the least expensive listing around so it wouldn't have mattered when she booked as far as price was concerned, and I seriously doubt that the new place they went mentioned to them that it was spider season). She sent another message telling me that she had spoken to Airbnb and they had refunded their portion of the taxes and fees. Then of course she left me a one star review where she slammed our place, not only mentioning the spider (there was one, single spider. She sent me a picture) and also complaining about several other features of our cottage that are clearly mentioned in the listing description. I sent Airbnb a Twitter DM telling them that she hadn't actually stayed in the cabin, so I didn't think she was able to leave a reveiw, as per Airbnb terms. I got a response that because she had checked in she was able to leave a review, but that someone would be contacting me from Airbnb. I got a call and the case manager said that the review was going to be removed, but the reason for the review deletion was because she mentioned details of the "investigation" (that Airbnb had given her a refund of the fees, etc), and not because she hadn't actually stayed there, or anything to do with the circumstances.

So two things that I wanted to vent about. The first is the fact that I have been a Superhost for who knows how long, have at least three years' worth of excellent reviews and none which mentions bugs, and that she had been in the cottage for less than an hour and hadn't actually stayed, had nothing to do with the deleted review. It is so disheartening how one unreasonable guest can tank your rating percentage and we have absolutely no recourse other than to respond to a horrible review. Also, I'm not sure what the "investigation" is that the case manager mentioned, but I'm wondering if I now have some sort of a red flag on my account or something?

The second thing is that this woman booked the least expensive place she can find, the title of which is, "Rustic Country Cottage", and then freaked out and demanded a refund, reported me to Airbnb, and continued to send me nasty messages even after I gave her a refund immediately upon request, all because she found a single spider in one of the rooms. Sheesh!

Okay, thanks for listening. I hope none of you have to deal with something like this.

44 Replies 44

@Kimberly54, I am going to reply to myself because I can't reply to anyone else.  There has been a star-quake on this CC today.  I've been split into two people since early this morning and with all the support in the world.... Patience!  

Heavens.  I can't even get to Lizzie now (who is trying to help! Thought we had this covered)... so,  if you can read this, YES, this is Kimberly, Level 10 from San Diego with poisonous snakes, coyotes and eagles, posting here at 7:06pm Pacific Time.  

Whassup???

Never mind.  This is just an FYI for various errors... in the star system.

Best,

Hi @Kimberly54 . Just checking if you changed your email or checked in with Facebook for example, that may be linked to a different email. I had this happen when I first started and noticed different levels with conversations. The only way Airbnb support was able to assist, was for me to delete one of the “email linked” accounts, hence I don’t use Facebook as a verification. If I do I duplicate due to email variations..... At the time I had a much higher CC level, then the one I stuck with, but three devices gave me one identity, the fourth gave me the “Facebook: different email” all linked... go figure!

@Kimberly347, no, I don't have a husband and, being a huge animal lover, have been vegetarian for over 30 years - thanks for the tips but I don't reckon I'll be eating (let alone killing) a moose anytime soon! 🙂

@Kath9, you don't have to have a husband, you can hire this stuff out.  (Wait... that might not sound right?)  Anyway... oh gosh, just got the vegetarian-thing.  Really?  Like not even eggs?  Are you going to be okay?  B-12... never mind... you've hit my Evangelistic/crusader nerve...

(You could have chickens... for eggs and adorable pets, and I swear, I'm going to stop now...)

*)

Kim

Awww @Kimberly54, thanks for your concern. So sweet! I'm very healthy and my B12 and iron are fine. In fact, I would argue that I'm probably healthier than most meateaters! I do eat eggs BTW, but only really good quality ones from a local farmer here who loves his chooks and they have plenty of space to run around. Really, I've been there and checked it out. But apparently, Australia has the fastest growing rate of people taking up veganism (i.e. no animal products whatsoever) in the world - Australia!

@Kath9--I WARNED YOU!! Eggs?  You're cool, fine, and I will give you a clean bill of health for Chicken Eggs Made From Love Itself.  Seriously.  Chickies who run around outside in the sun/rain/climb trees, listen to great music, play with the local kids, jump into my arms and are the happiest girls in the world?  YESSS!  EGGS RULE, and C-monsters (chickens) ROCK. (they can also destroy a lot of stuff because they believe that the World is Their TOY.)

I'm also super protective of them: Locked in at night and let out at first light (no snooze-button here!).  Angels. Eggs, fertalizer, tilling soil, insect control, rodent control, and amazing pets. Sooooo easy to care for!  I learned about chickens after I watched "Food, Inc." (an educational horror movie.) 

OK, I did warn you---you got me started!

*)

Kim
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Kath9   Looks like my Aunty Nee Nee....

Nothing too exotic for me. I've encountered a couple of rattlesnakes when going on a hike in Southern Ca. Up here we do see the occasional bear, but they're usually more afraid of us than we are of them. As long as it's not a mommy bear with babies, you're okay.

Okay, @Leslie7... not exciting?  My spider story:  I'm a teenager in Hawaii--a strange place for a kid--and I get up in the middle of the night to pee.  I turn on the light...

I hear this loud "CLACK-CLACK-CLACK-CLACK"  of an exoskeleton animal clicking on the ceiling, in the dark. (Yes, the feet do this creepy clicking-noise.)

I'm on the potty... petrified... (not sure I ever peed).  I cried out in a very soft voice, "Dad?  Daaaad? DAAAAAAAD??????"

I am saying this so very softly because there is this ENORMOUS BLACK FUZZY CANE SPIDER ABOVE ME.

Dad came into the bathroom with a Kneenex Box and smashed it--on the ceiling (Dad was tall).

Oh, my... I went to sleep... not ever caring if I ever peed again in my life.

Best,

Kim

@Leslie7     Nasty guest.  Unfortunately, it happens to most, if not all hosts, at least once.

Probably she booked because it was cheap, found it was not as she had imagined, got a last minute freebie with a friend  (that has happened to me) or whatever,  and then looked around for something to vent and rage about.  She certainly went the extra mile on that score. Who knows she could even have gone a-spider hunting, hosts have posted more fantastical stories than that of ploys guests use to get refunds.

btw:  Airbnb had talked about removing outlier ratings. 

There is a post somewhere on this forum about what to write on your listing and how to deal with guests who appear to come from hermetically sealed environments and are prone to the uglies and hysterics when they see a non-human form.

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

@Kath9. EXCELLENT!

You've totally topped me! Coiled & readyCoiled & readyDeactivatedDeactivated
My goodness. 

And this is a BABY! (Spring is the worst because that's when they generally hatch).  This really is not a good thing, and harder to see than your croc.

The coyotes are not nice and predator-wise, the eagles are the worst.  Hawks I don't care much about because my girls (pet chickens and a Swan) are far too big to take down, but this is serious business.  No one can walk around in a daze at night... I really do need to prep anyone--and stay ahead of them.  

I've gone to some great lengths to make the back yard UNDESIRABLE, but some do get through, and it can be a little exciting. 

MOSQUITOS are another monster!  WOW!

OK, I've just been censored... not sure if I can send the pix...

Best,

Kim

Oooh, that's a scary looking snake. Don't worry, we have plenty of snakes here too. Even though some are deadly, they tend to stay out of the way (just gotta be careful walking through long grass). But crocs... that's a whole different story. They will wait patiently for you. When I was travelling across the top end of Oz in my campervan (completely ignorant about crocs), I was by the river one day where a bunch of Aboriginal kids were swimming. Their mums and aunties were all sitting in the park so I went over and asked them how they knew their kids wouldn't get eaten. They told me, 'Never swim in the same spot twice in a row'. It was good advice. The spot where I nearly stepped on the croc was precisely the spot I'd camped the night before - I do believe to this day that that croc was waiting for me. It was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life - I immediately drove to the top of the highest hill in town and camped there! In Australia, you never mess around with salties.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Kimberly347, sorry, forgot to tag you in that last post 🙂

Hi @Kath9. As a Darwinite, unless  the waterhole is known to be safe, it ain’t gonna happen! Not even once... never.... ever.......... 🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊 to be clear? NOPE!

Hahaha, that's even better advice! The trouble with crocs, however, is that THEY CAN JUST WALK to a 'safe' waterhole. For years afterwards, whenever we went camping, my son (who was 3 at the time of that trip) would ask me if there were any crocs in the river (and we live on the south coast of Australia, where we only have lowly great white sharks). Crocs are seriously dangerous @Cathie19  - how on earth do you live with them???