Need help posting a review

Moudi1
Level 2
Raleigh, NC

Need help posting a review

So ! I had a guest he was nice and friendly, he booked for 8 nights 

he was supposed to check out on Thursday but the surprise was after my cleaning lady went to the apartment to clean his stuff was there and he hasn’t checked out

chexk out time is 12:00 pm 

I contacted him and he was shocked and he thought his check out will be on Friday 

he tried to stay more and he contacted me out of Airbnb and asked me if he could pay but I couldn’t because I had another guest checking in Friday

so he told me he will get his stuff after he’s done with work at 6:00 pm ! Which 6 hrs after check out time 

that created  a huge mess in my schedule I had to compensate the cleaning lady for her drive and I asked Airbnb to contact him , so he finally went to  the place and got his stuff out around 4:30 pm 

ot was was very inconvenient and ended up cleaning my self after a long day at work ! I saw that he immediately posted a review and I’m wondering if he would post something negative because I couldn’t allow him to stay extra night , I don’t know what to review him , the stay was good but this last thing created a bad experience for me.

any thoughts ?

8 Replies 8
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

If it were me I'd just go for it. Post an honest review. Friendly guest, no problems, slight mix up with the departure date but not the end of the world. Would have accommodated if I didn't have someone checking in. Etc. Etc. You can always add a note to his review after. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

From what you have said it seemed like a genuine mistake, and he was out four and a half hours late. A pain, yes, but not malicious. Did you send the usual welcome email (as many of us do) confirming check in/out details/dates?

I'd probably mention it as a hiccup a la 'sorry we weren't able to extend your stay at the last minute...', and mark him as appropriate for all other areas. 

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Moudi1 if I were you, I would just write the review based on the facts. There are three categories to rate a guest: cleanliness, communication, and house rules. His late checkout broke the house checkout rule. Definitely it is not going to be a 5 in that category even though it seems to be an accident. As for the cost involved to pay the cleaning lady’s trip, you may either give the guest an excuse or file a claim through resolution center based on your overall experience of the guest’s stay.

Thank you very much that was very helpful!

David6
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Had this happen in early days, and now I message each guest the night before reminding them of check out time. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Moudi1  You say there weren't any problems with his stay, so I'd just rate him as if the check-out day mix up never happened, as far as the star ratings go. But in the written review, after speaking to the non-problematic nature of his stay, say that unfortuately he failed to realize what his check-out day was, and as you had another guest booked, you weren't able to acommodate extending the day of check-out and then had to rearrange your and your cleaners schedule as he left all his luggage in the room xx hours past check-out.

As far as him leaving his bags until 6PM- I would have offered for him to leave his luggage inside the front door in  the morning, so that his room could be cleaned as normal before the next guests checked in.

I myself wouldn't mark him down for following House Rules as @Mike1034  suggested, as you say his stay was fine- he's just a bit discombobulated as far as paying attention-both to his check-out day and the check-out time. Unless there's more to the story, it doesn't sound like he was being purposely malicious or disrespectful.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Moudi1 

we had a similar accident with our guests who also thought they have more day to stay. We also had back to back booking and had to clean the apartment for our next guests so we were shocked to see they didn't leave. We contacted them, they were out in town and rushed back immediately to pack their things. They were with a baby and had plane tickets for tomorrow so we transferred them to our other smaller apartment next door so everything ended well.

The point is - your guest maybe did an honest mistake but he should come home IMMEDIATELY to pack, not postpone it for 5 hours! This is not right and it caused you a lot of stress and extra cost for your cleaner.  If he couldn't come immediately he should tell you to pack his things and store it somewhere until he arrives.

Btw, read Airbnb TOS where it says that any overstay is charged a double daily rate. I would mention his overstay in my review and if he would give me a bad review I would charge him for overstay 🙂 You have evidence - you said that Airbnb contacted him about it.

I never knew about TOS, I think I’ll check his review, if he used a negative review as a reaction of him not being allowed to extend his stay ,I’ll do that !