New Rooms & Spaces Classification - How is it working for you?

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

New Rooms & Spaces Classification - How is it working for you?

I logged in to my listing this morning, and I saw the new Rooms and Spaces options, so I thought I would go ahead and fill it out. No harm, right? Wrong!

I entered that there is one bedroom in my place, which is accurate: there is one bedroom with a bed and a pullout couch, and one futon in the office/front hall area. Because I only have one bedroom, it said I only have 2 beds: the futon in the front hall/office was removed, and there was no way to put it back in without changing my listing to 2 bedroom, which I don't feel is accurate. It was fine the way it was before, where I could state that there were 2 beds in a bedroom and another in a shared space. I'm concered that now, people are going to think that they're getting two seperate bedrooms.

Does Airbnb think about the ramifications of what they're doing before they do it, or do they just stumble around in the dark?

49 Replies 49
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Alexandra316  That is just massively annoying.  I noticed the same thing this morning.  Although mine is a whole home rental, I went through the steps to make sure they hadn't defaulted to a shared option anywhere.  And just as your futon in the office had disappeared, my futon in the library had disappeared.

I didn't have time to review further - to preview the listing and see what guests see - but even going through the questionnaire was nerve-wracking for some reason.

I guess they're trying to make sure everything is clear to potential guests.  But still.

@Ann72 And I'm all for clarity, but I think that in the case of multi-purpose spaces, it makes it less clear. Maybe they're still working out the bugs: I'm hoping so. They also give the option of saying the second bedroom/office/hall is  "shared space", but the way it's set up in the check boxes, it looks like that means that it's shared with people not in the guest's party. The wording is:

Guests might share this space with me, other guests, or someone else.

To me, that means other guests that aren't part of their party.

@Alexandra316 Right!  Who is this "someone else"?  What "other guests"?

@Ann72 Maybe useful for all the hosts who allow random strangers to wander off the street into their Airbnbs? 😄 I don't know. So confusing.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Ann72  @Alexandra316 Should work in a place like mine, my private home, where I let up to 3 private rooms, & guests share bathroom with me and other guests....("Old style", original Airbnb concept), but on "whole house " listings it's just plain daft! - The old format, showing eg. sofa bed in the common areas seemed perfectly clear in whole house listings. (And where guests share with host, or other guests, well, you'd hardly be sleeping in the areas shared with strangers, would you?)

@Alexandra316  However, if it's not a shared space when they're using it, then you don't have to check anything.  Unless it's shared with you, of course.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Alexandra316 @Ann72 my non-bedroom beds disappeared too but I was able to add them back in under the "sleeping arrangements" tab for those rooms.

@Lisa723 Maybe my layout is different from yours, but I don't have any option now to add a sleeping arrangement in rooms that aren't listed specifically as bedrooms. The only option is to check off that it's a shared space.

@Alexandra316 that's odd... but what isn't?

Capture.JPG

@Lisa723 Interesting. I don't have the Sleeping arrangements line. Thanks for the screenshot.

@Lisa723 Haha... I figured it out. You can have sleeping arrangements in the living room, but not in an office space. That explains it.

@Alexandra316 good grief.

@Alexandra316 , there's no sleeping in office spaces? I have a few colleagues who will take that news hard 🙂

Hope it is a glitch that gets fixed.

The new rooms and spaces didn't work well for me, either, but I think I have it conquered. It took a lot of setting this, checking the guest view, setting that, checking the guest view. At least it now no longer says that the treehouse bed will be shared with me or others. 

Cozy indeed. 

@Lawrene0 LOL! No free snuggles with a night in the tree house? Disappointing!

My colleauges also: our old production manager used to sleep under his desk on some bubble wrap all the time when we had to get machines out the door in a rush and he'd be working to midnight. Our operations manager brough in a cot for him at one point, but he didn't use it.