New host needs tips, Aberdeen, Scotland

Eric895
Level 2
Westhill, United Kingdom

New host needs tips, Aberdeen, Scotland

Hi,

I’m new to Airbnb, can anyone take a look at my listing and give me some tips?

Not had any bookings or enquiries since listing, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Eric

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

hello @Eric895 ,

Your posting suggests  you are the host, but I noticed on the listing you are the co-host and Kaye is the host.

The listing says it is an entire appartment and also mentioned "breakfast included".

i wondered how the breakfast is "delivered" ?

It also says in the title "first guest discount", but this is not explained in detail. Better use an automatically special discount, like  provided by Airbnb for first three bookings.

best regards, Emiel

Eric895
Level 2
Westhill, United Kingdom

As if by magic i’ve had a 15 day booking a few minutes after posting.

Yes, I can see your point of view on the breakfast.

I was thinking a few breakfast items to last the guest a day or two before they buy their own things. I won’t be turning up every other day with fresh bread!

I shall remove breakfast included from the listing

@Eric895  Yes, remove Breakfast from the amenities, but still leave some food items for the guests, enough so they don't have to immediately run out to the grocery store after a long journey.

Hosts have found that better reviews follow by promising less, but providing more than guests bargained for. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I would have the first photo be the living room shot, I would add some throw pillows and/or turn down the coverlet to give the bed a more attractive/finished look, also consider some kind of wall art behind the bed, it looks a bit spartan.  

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Eric895 I agree with @Mark116 that the bedroom looks rather bare, and does need some wall art to give it a boost.  Also, the living room shot is far more attractive than the bedroom one and should be the main photograph.   You need to make it clear who the host is and provide some information in the profile as well.

Eric895
Level 2
Westhill, United Kingdom

Thank you all, yes some big colourful artwork for the walls was next on my shopping list.

Good point about the hosting, i’ll explain in the listing that it’s me and my wife

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello @Eric895

First of all, are you the owner of this property otherwise your landlord has every right to turf you out straight away.

Does your mortgage lender know you are dipping your toe into the air bnb rental market?

Does you home insurance cover you ,should you get a rogue guest?

Does your home insurance cover you if a rogue guest damages the common parts of the tenement?

Does the factor of the tenement know of your air bnb activities, particularly if your guests annoy your neighbours?

Now onto your listing.

Dont include breakfast as there are plenty of cafes and Starbucks etc nearby, as breakfast will tie you to a certain timescale and dependence on others to provide breakfast.

Then you’ve got all the food fads to cater for, not to mention the odd possible allergy.

Your price is extremely cheap for Aberdeen centre.....cheap prices attract a certain type of guest in my experience.

The thing that puts me off as a prospective guest is the security deposit....how do I know I’m dealing with a good host?

How easy is it to get damages claimed from the security deposit?

Is there off street parking?

I see your set of house rules which perhaps need to be tighter up.

No parties or events.......what about specifying your rules regarding the alcohol?

What about the maximum number of guests allowed in the flat?

Personally I would never rent out my flat unless I was staying there during the rental period as this year I’ve had some truly entitled guests......you could not make it up.

and there is some business I can well do without..... Hence my set of Atilla the Hen house rules as I’d rather weed out the rogues before they set foot inside my home.

Did you read the story in the papers last month about the Kensington £300 flat trashed by what became a rave with police called in!

This air bnb has mushroomed exponentially this year and some of the calibre of guests I’ve had this season has dropped, as they have no concept of the sharing economy.

Forewarned is forearmed!

Good luck

Eric895
Level 2
Westhill, United Kingdom

Thanks @Victoria567

Good idea to be clear about the parking situation and maximum number of guests, i’ll add that.

Natasha45
Level 7
Athens, GA

I agree about the photos. Smooth and fluff that bed! Add pillows to it. Add color to your living room space! Personally, I don’t like table cloths as my grandmothers was always sticky (Hahahaha!) so the yellow table cloth throws me off too! Add something green -a plant or flowers! 

Good Luck! It is fun being a host!