Problem guest - WFH & requesting to cook

Mohini0
Level 2
Northwood, United Kingdom

Problem guest - WFH & requesting to cook

I've looked at lots of different forums, but I thought I would try to get some advice directly. 

I have been hosting for about 8 months now and I have mostly had business travellers which stay for a short time.  I am currently hosting a guest who is staying for 28 days (the longest booking we've had so far) and when I enquired about his purpose of trip  (business/pleasure) he stated business.  I was therefore led to believe he would most likely be out of the flat working all day, however we quickly found out this was not the case at all and he is working from home all day everyday from our (shared) living/dining room.  The biggest issue is in the evening, as he is still sitting on our dining table from when we get home from work until we go to bed (6pm - 11:30pm).  We use our living room as a place to unwind, watch tv, have a chat, but now this has become very uncomfortable and we are now renegated to our bedroom.  

The other issue is the guest has asked me if they can cook in our kitchen, even though we have listed the kitchen as limited usage only (no stove, oven, cookware).  I was put on the spot and guest pleaded that I allow them to cook as they were staying long term.  I definetly think the guest had not read the rules prior to booking.  I felt like I was really put on the spot so I (stupidly) said yes.  The issue is that the guest is not very clean when using the kitchen. I have found the stove messy and although I have asked the guest to please tidy up after themselves (showing them the wash cloths and how I would like the kitchen to be left), but I am still ending up spending time cleaning up after them. 

My house manual does say to 'leave kitchen as you have found it' - however I have used this experience to make this section a bit more comprehensive.  

Has anyone been in a similar situation?  Has anyone had to ask guests to clean up after themselves?  I totally get that I was the one who said yes to the cooking, but can I go back on this?  Or would it be reasonable to ask for extra cleaning fee dueto cleaning up after? 

I've have now changed my listing so it states that we are unable to hosts guests who would like to work from home, however how have others dealt with guests who are at home all day?  Is there a polite way of addressing this with the guest?  

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!

8 Replies 8
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Maybe you can address these two issues with the guest directly? Explain how the current situation is impacting you and ask him (nicely) to (1) not work in the common area after Xpm and (2) either leave the kitchen as he found it on each use or agree to an extra cleaning fee. Accepting responsibility for not clarifying space use expectations up front (even though he also bears responsibility) might help it go more smoothly. Good luck, this sounds like a person who is pretty self-centered.

Lack of common sense caused this I guess.
Just need to make the rules clear and explain.
The earlier the better.

@Mohini0

Maybe you can sit down with the guest and say since you are making an exception related to kitchen use, there need to be some ground rules and write up a list of rules that you can agree on. Print them and post them on the kitchen wall. Also, reiterate was was agreed on with the guest on Airbnb messenger for proof. Then, whenever you find evidence of a violation, take a photo, and send it to the guest with a message like "I'd appreciate if you could try to do a better job cleaning up after yourself. This was the condition agreed on to allow kitchen use, as an exception. If this persists, I will have no choice but to charge you for additional kitchen clean up. Thanks!"

Even if it is after the fact, explain to the guest that this is the first time you have had a guest like him - all your previous guests came home to sleep only. You feel it is better for everyone to clarify expectations regarding use of shared spaces. Like @Lisa723 says, appologize to guest "for not being clear enough about what is provided to guests and what host expectations are towards guests"

Regardless of the "purpose" of their trip, my experience is that guests who stay longer than 2~3 weeks are LIVING in your home, not just visiting. So they require a totally different set of rules that cover personal habits and behaviors. Good luck~

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

first of all cancel the next day available you have in your calandar to get this guest OUT of your home.

this is a reason the maximum stay I have is 3 nights......there is a saying that guests like fish hanging around, for more than three days, tend to go “off”.

Then use this free day to completely revise your house rules.

Perhaps look at mine, as it’s best to weed out the rogue guests before they set foot in your home.

Do you really want this entitled guest to be sharing your space and using all your electricity etc all day while you are out at work?.....Me neither.....get them out ASAP and take back control of your living space!

You want the host to cancel on a guest not clearly violating House Rules,  with a valid listing?

I'd want compensation from the Host or ABB.  I'd be glad to litigate it.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Mohini0

Sorry this has happened to you. Occasionally it has happened to me. You are put on the spot and think "Ah it won't be terrible" , so you give up your advantage.

But it's not too late. You can sit business man down and explain you made a mistake. Make it about your own hang-up - "I'm sorry, when I accepted your reservation, I did not realize that your sitting at the table would drive me crazy. I do apologize. I will now ask you to work in your room. Would that be alright? I understand if you need go elsewhere, I will repay your unused days."

28 days is a long time. Even "good" guests can become annoying. Human nature being what it is, guests do relax after a couple of days. I know I can be considerate for 2-3 days, but it is a concious chore. After that, may messy tendencies take over.

Do not stress about this. Take back your home. Don't worry about the review,  the money or being "nice". Certainly, don't feel guilty cuz you didn't write up your listing perfectly. It's not worth it.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Mohini0  This is what hosting is all about... the learning curve.  You learn about people and about yourself as you learn how to host professionally and thoughtfully.  Could you have stayed someplace for 4  weeks and not need to cook?  Sometimes asking yourself about what you would need as a guest will help you prepare.  Great advice from the other hosts for you to speak with the guest directly but not confrontationally.  Assuming the responsibility for the misunderstanding and asking for cooperation rather than shaming him is a good approach.  Being willing to provide a refund for unused days as an option underlies how serious you are about your boundaries and rules.  In general, if there are any communications in person, always memorialize the conversation in a summary in a message on the Air BNB messaging system.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mohini0   "It's totally fine to use the dining room table to work during the day when we're out, but my husband and I are feeling like we can't enjoy a bit of personal relaxation time in our own living room. All our other business travelers have done their work at the desk in their room, so it didn't occur to me to mention this at the outset. Would you mind moving your work time to your room after we get home in the evenings?"

I assume you provide a comfortable work surface and chair, and good lighting, in the guest room.

In the future, this is something you might want to make clear in a message to future guests at the time they book.