New place with problems

Penelope9
Level 2
Avalon Beach, Australia

New place with problems

Hi I’ve just opened my new place but the first guest came and the plumber left without finishing the job, so had to use a second bathroom and was angry

my next guest is due tomorrow and I just accidentally broke the handle on the outdoor door that leads to the deck (trying to fix now) and found a leak in the vanity (I had a terrible first plumber!) 

not Ot sure if to cancel etc 

1 Reply 1
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Penelope9

Hi Pen and welcome to hosting....although you probably don't want to hear that just at this moment.

You will find that guests are pretty good if you are open with them and lay all the cards on the table.

At this stage definitely do not cancel! If you cancel the guest it will effect your future bookings for years. Airbnb will put an automated posting on your profile that you cancelled a guest reservation and futurer guests try to stay away from hosts who cancel!

I would message the guest and say how much you are looking forward to having them come and stay with you! Murphy's Law has struck and, with any new listing certain corners need to be ironed out. You are having a bit of a plumbing problem which has resulted in a small vanity leak which you hope won't be too much of an inconvenience for the stay. You are doing your best to have the plumber sort it out as you speak! You will be on hand to attend to any needs the guest may have and your desire is to make the stay as nice as possible.

You have told the guest that there will be an issue of sorts but hopefully between you you will be able to deal with it.

Sometimes Pen we are at our best when under a bit of pressure, this could be your time to shine....don't throw in the towel and cancel, the guest may be very understanding and support you!

And if you do feel the hosting can't take place get onto Airbnb on the Sydney number 8520 3333 and get them to handle it so it doesn't have a negative impact on you!

All the best....

Cheers.....Rob