No Show Guest

No Show Guest

I had a guest who reserved 2 nights, arriving on the same night as he booked it. I did not see his request for 3 hours and it was 7pm when I accepted. I emailed and called him, leaving my phone number. He did not respond. On the second day I sent him another message. He responded saying he was still coming on the second night and that it was circumstances beyound his control the kept him from arriving the night before. At 11:00pm I asked if he was on his way (I don't have self check in) and he said he was still out with friends. I told him he would have to call when he arrives and I would get up. He didn't not want to disturb me and said he wasn't coming. Sometime thru the night he cancelled the reservation/conversation. Today I see that I have the option of refunding his money. My husband read somewhere that if you refund money when they cancel that it gives the host a bad review. This is our first reservaton and I don't want to get a bad review. I am not out anything because he didn't use his reservation. I did offer him to contact me and schedule another date. He did not ask for a refund, but I'm not sure what to do. My heart says refund, but I don't want a bad review.

10 Replies 10
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Caron12 I would expect not refunding the guest to have a greater chance of leading to a poor review than refunding: I can't imagine why someone would leave negative feedback for giving them their money back. However, I think it's up to you whether or not you refund. This guest blocked your calendar for two nights. Also, if they're not asking for a refund, I wouldn't nescessarily offer one. I would go with your gut on that one.

Your husband may be thinking of the automatic review that's generated if you cancel on a guest. That's definitely a negative, but does not apply here.

I would not refund someone that has not asked for a refund, knowing that preparation and constant communication was given throughout the night. 

I think the guest realizes you were you were  going above and beyond to satisfy their needs.

darren

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Caron12, what? Why would you refund this guest? They blocked your calendar for two nights. Unless he asks for one (and even if he does) don't even think about it!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Caron12  Also, never agree to refund a guest until you have seen the $ for the reservation has been deposited to your account. Some hosts have been caught out on this, refunding a guest only to find that Airbnb has also refunded them, and that Airbnb refund is then deducted from future payouts to the host on other reservations.

If you do decide to refund a guest, out of goodwill, I feel that they should never be refunded in full, as that means that your time is worth nothing. You did spend time communicating with the guest, preparing the room for them, etc, and you should always pay yourself for your time. If a guest cancels a reservation that's still for months in the future, meaning you haven't had to clean for their arrival, spend a bunch of time communicating with them, and have a good chance of rebooking the dates, that might be another story.

Patricia1967
Level 2
Richmond Hill, GA

I just had a similar experience with a no show guest. Was suppose to arrive late Friday/early Saturday morning. Did not show or call. Received another message on Sunday that he was running late but was still coming and may have to extend the reservation if available. I messaged back what he thought the new check out date would be. Guest neither responded nor showed for the 4 night reservation. No I did not refund. No communication and respect for the host. It was really aggravating for me and my husband. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Patricia1967  That's the broadest interpretation of "running late" I've ever heard. Usually means won't be there for anywhere from 15 minutes to a couple of hours. Two days is "I'm a disrespectful flake", not "running late" 🙂 

Ana-and-David0
Level 7
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I got a bad review from a no show. his review 1 star says also he never checked in. airbnb it is not removing it. Any experience dealing with that?

Gladys211
Level 2
Thonotosassa, FL

Hello all.  I am new to hosting.  My first guest stayed for three nights and then left on Monday.  When he reserved, I was asked to confirm the reservation.  My second guest booked 21 days and was to arrive on Tuesday.  This reservation was confirmed without sending me a notice allowing me to confirm it, not sure why. 

Although this guest  kept in contact, he has yet to show up!  His communication was bizarre.  He said he was leaving the hospital in an UBER and would be running late because he was lost (I gave him my address and realized the hospital he was checking out of was 30 minutes away).  Then, he called me (he asked for my cell phone number) to say he messed up and did some things and would maybe be even later (the phones weren't connecting well or something-kept having to say "hello, are you still there?").  He only seemed to answer whenever I asked a question such as when do you think you will arrive?  I have self check in but wanted to leave the air conditioner running if he were going to be there soon.  Otherwise he was silent.  Weird.  Anyways, at some point late yesterday afternoon, he texted "I'm not able to get there today will loss the reservation".  I took that to mean he was worried he would lose his reservation.  So I wrote back, "No you won't.  You can come whenever as you have reserved till the 31st.  Just give me a heads up when you will be arriviing so I can have the air running before you get here".  He then texted "give me your number".  I wrote back "You have it.  You are texting me!"  He wrote back "Thanks".

This is so weird!  His conversations were weird.  My sister in law said that he was either a drunk or druggie and needed a place to stay during his recouperation from his hospital stay.  Whether that is true or not, I don't know.  What I do know is that I am worried about this guest and have several questions for hosts with experience.

1)  Why did this reservation just go through without allowing me to confirm it first?

2)  Do you limit the length of stays a guest may reserve at any one time?  If so, how do you do that?

3)  Should I keep this reservation open for him to appear whenever he wishes within the 21 days (this seems to be his first booking on ABB, based on his profile)?

4)  If not, how should I handle the funds?

5)  Speaking of funds, he can't book without payment, correct?  I think today is the day the funds are supposed to show up in my account (he was supposed to check in yesterday).  If he paid, what now?

Any help you can give would be totally appreciated!

@Gladys211 Taking your questions in order

1) I think you have Instant Book enabled so guests can just book without your agreement

2) Absolutely yes if it is  a whole home listing they can get tenants rights for 30 day stays in many states/countries

3) Who knows - Airbnb may end up refunding the guest and you could lose big time

4) If Airbnb refund then they will take the money from future stays

5) Correct

You need to open your listing and click each option to see what is available to you.

Thanks for the quick response.  By the way, he just called me and seems somewhat better as he is talking better.  Apparently, he came down from out of state.  He was to go to a church and got here late.  Started searching for the church instead of going straight to where he would be staying.  Arrived at the church, then something happened (he won't say what and I didn't want to press).  He said he was concerned about losing his "reservation".  I told him he was fine with that.  He said could he extend his stay.  I said let's wait until you get here to discuss that.  

So, I think there will be no extension, even though I am only renting a suite within my home that has its own entrance from and to the outdoors.  Too complicated a person and too mysterious for my taste.

I also think that for now, I will just let this reservation (and the funds) stand as is.  It seems as he is from New Jersey and drove down here (left car at church).  For now, it seems like he still could show up at some point.

Thank you, @Mike-And-Jane0 for your help!