Not appearing in search results? Potential remedy.

Robert78
Level 10
Suzhou, China

Not appearing in search results? Potential remedy.

So after some exhaustive consultations with Airbnb, there is an ongoing problem with host properties not appearing in search results due to one particular factor, namely, your location/address isn't adequately affixed the correct coordinates in the mapping configuration utilized by Airbnb to assign your listing a specific locality.

If you believe your home isn't appearing, you MUST contact Airbnb DIRECTLY and advise them of your precise GPS coordinates (this does NOT mean your address, phone number, Airbnb URL, mother's maiden name, etc.)

Here's how you obtain your GPS coord's from Google:

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/18539?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en (IMPORTANT: Follow the instructions for " Get the coordinates of a place".)

For iOS, it's MUCH more complicated, so I suggest you use Chrome instead and use the Maps feature. But if you're a confident Mac power-user, here's how:

http://www.leancrew.com/all-this/2014/07/extracting-coordinates-from-apple-maps/

N.B. This may NOT solve all your search criteria, but it may very well be part of the remedy - it worked for me 🙂

12 Replies 12
Andrew90
Level 10
New York, NY

@Robert78, thanks for your dillagence in tracking this bug down and sharing with the community!!

I nominate you for the "Golden Thumb" award!!  (just made that up ) but your awsome!!

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

@Andrew90: a golden thumb to the creator of the golden thumb!

Betty

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Brilliant. Another "Golden Thumb"   🙂

Betty-B--M-0
Level 10
Nairobi, Kenya

@Robert78, thanks for the tip, another "Golden Thumb" for you.  

Also check out: http://www.gps-coordinates.net

Any idea on moving a listing HIGHER up in the search results?

Happy Hosting, 

Betty

Robert78
Level 10
Suzhou, China

UPDATE: Having undertaken this course of remediation, the following occured:

1. My listing "reappeared" on pages 1 through 4 of randomized, yet optimal, search results (filtered and unfiltered.)

2. Booking enquiries increased by a factor of 4.

3. Enquiry conversions to confirmed reservations increased by a factor of 3.

The results speak for themselves, but your mileage may vary.

Happy hunting!

This sounds great. I contacted Airbnb by phone. I'm still waiting...

How long did it take for your listing to re-appear in search results? 

Juan864
Level 2
Vega Alta, Puerto Rico

Since Golden Thumbs Up are now official, Robert you get another one. Thanks, I am in a rural location without a true address. I will try your suggestion, all the best to you.

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

This may be THE single most useful post I've ever encountered in the CC forums. I'm saving it for future use if necessary. Thanks!

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Well done sir....take a pay rise. 

Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

🙂

Tim118
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Thanks for this, worth a try. I got the GPS coordinates, but how/where do I submit this to Airbnb? I can't find any way to contact them lately on their website.

Same with me.

I now have the coords, but who do I tell?