UNACCEPTABLE: host cannot see profile pic prior to booking

Henning24
Level 1
Berlin, Germany

UNACCEPTABLE: host cannot see profile pic prior to booking

It is unacceptable, that hosts can no longer get an impression of  possible guests  prior to the booking, by looking at his/her photograph. In contrary, the guest can still see the photograph of the host!

I never read any ratings that others wrote about  guests, but decide upon reading between the lines of the request message and upon my visual impression of the person. That works for me.

I have a daughter who spends time alone in the apartment after school and therefore need to evaluate guests my way to be safe. Not airbnb's way! Does that make sense? Do people form the airbnb staff have kids and can understand that ??

I was talking to somebody in the support line, but nobody seems to care.

If airbnb really wants to work against prejudices or even discrimination, why not eliminate sexes, home towns, pictures of apartments, etc. etc. ? That would force everybody to rely on the airbnb rating system in every field instead of making up your own mind. Senselsess, isn't it?

7 Replies 7

I absolutley agree! We have no way of knowing who will stay in OUR HOME but they can be completely invisible?!? This has nothing to do with racism or other categories. The safety of my home and neighbors should be of the utmost importance. This change is making me reconsider being a host.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Hi @Henning24  Your point about the safety of your daughter adds another dimension to the MANY posts already written about the photo issue.... Just wondered if you were aware of all these...? - Typing "photo" into the search, top right might help? (Not being sarcastic! - Thought you might want to have a browse!)

Nina75
Level 10
LA, CA

there are too many racists who deny hosting based on skin color. I support no pictures before booking.

I agree with you, when they see I am a white host they do not want to book.. All pictures must only pop up when booked. Host and Guests

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

I took a peek at your listing. Nice coffee machine !For what it's worth, I agree with you about the guest photos. I notice you mention having a 12 year old daughter. If I were you I would delete it. 

Elliott0
Level 2
California, United States

its not fair if the guest gets to see a picture of the host. the problem eric holder and that team needs to work on is making sure the guests arent being racist or prejudice because it can happen in that reverse way too. its a 2 way street and blocking off one of the ways isnt cutting down on racism, it just cuts down on revenue. keeping hosts in the dark is dumb. turn up the lights.

Elliott
Johannes103
Level 2
Gansbaai, South Africa

I join Airbnb because I can see who is coming before hand and do a pictures searched with google to make sure. Guests do not want to book if they see me because the colour is not right and I look creepy. Then they go to another listing. So both pictures must not been seen. What is good for the one is good for the other.