Not too sure about this one...

Not too sure about this one...

Im currently waiting on a reply from support on this matter. I was mowing the lawns at around 4pm on a Saturday. When I got inside I noticed I had a new email from Airbnb. A woman had requested 1 nights stay on that particular night, she also sent me a message simply saying "any minute...". I had missed her request by 20 minutes while I mowed the lawn. So I accepted her request and sent her a message stating the she was welcome. I had someone in the night before, so I washed the sheets and put them in the tumble dryer, set up my usual little welcoming package on tea, coffe, biscuits, some fruit etc then made the bed and gave the room a general clean. At 5:30 I had not seen her, at 6:30 I had not seen her, neither at 7: 30, nor 8:30. At around 9pm I received an email from her, through the Airbnb site, saying "we needed an answer immediatley so we booked elsewhere", but still no cancellation. I didnt bother replying.

The next day I get a knock at my door, and was met by her, with hubby standing behind, saying that they needed accomodation straight away so they decided not to stay with me as I took too long to respond. Her demeanour had changed dramatically from the previous messages she had sent the night before to quite a contrite manner, and I knew what was coming next. Yep, she wanted a refund. Not only did she want a refund, but she claimed that she had spoken to someone at Airbnb support saying that she should come and speak to me regarding the matter. I mean, am I expected to do my own mediation with disgruntled Airbnb guests now? I did not say I would give her a refund, but instead said that I would comtact Airbnb to discuss options (just to appease them and get them off my doorstep basically).

I received her money the day after because, as I stated, she never actually cancelled her reservation, she just emailed me at 9pm on the night of her stay saying she had gone elsewhere. Now Airbnb have emailed me, not with options to dicuss, but with steps to refund her money. My refund policy is set to moderate, I dont believe I have to refund her for a cancellation she never made. As I said however, I am still waiting for Airbnb to reply to an email I sent them as the support guru says hes away from the office for two days.

I think I may have been more obliging had she messaged me in more polite manner, I also think I may have been more obliging if the both of them had not turned up on my doorstep, alledgedly at Airbnbs instruction, looking for money.

Thoughts?

19 Replies 19
Pete28
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Jason720

If she didn't cancel it means she can still review you 😞

Given the zen of Airbnb that will be mostly like a 1* review full of hate. Maybe you can get Airbnb to remove it. Maybe not. Is it worth one nights money ? The best guests are the ones that cancel, can't review, and you get to keep the $$

Exactly my concern. Thanks Pete

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Jason720

First of all they have sent you booking request , you accepted and booking was made. So,if they booked another accomodation in the meantime for the same date then they are not eligible for any refund. And , it was last minute booking so  48h-free-cancelation-policy can not be applied.

this is classic no-show situation and in theory you they should get cleaning fee back and the rest is yours

But as @Pete28 said they can still rate and review you. If they do you can contact ABB to remove it or you can reply to their review (if you reviewed them as well)

It is hard to tell what to do. You can refund a cleaning fee and send them a message something like this;

Dear XX I am sorry you didn't show up and didn't stay  at my place. According to my moderate cancellation policy you will be refunded for cleaning fee only. 

Airbnb moderate cancellation policy: https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#moderate 

Best regards, ... 

The same as you, IF they had better and timely communication I would refund them everything, but the way they behaved and let you wait for hours is not nice. 

@Jason720 If they leave a review, you can leave a public reply to say that they cancelled and never actuallly stayed at your place.  

Good point, thanks Helen

Yeah, but that won't remove the hit on the numbers that a 1 star review will cause, because as I understand it, despite airbnb's policy that reviews must be from 'experience' a guest who never goes inside the property can still leave 1 star for each and every category.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  @Jason720  I would add to that message a bit about what you did to accomodate their last minute booking- cleaning, laundry, amenitiy supply, etc. Why should we be expected to do these things for free just because a guest changes their mind? If you're going to refund at all, past the cleaning fee, I think the time and $ required to prepare for a no-show guest should be deducted from any refund.

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jason720 sounds like it could be a classic scam: Book, don't show/make a "complaint" through Airbnb to get a refund through the platform and also hit the host up directly in person demanding a refund in a threatening way which you may give in cash if you're not experienced = double refund.

There doesn't seem any other reason for their showing up at your property to discuss in person.

Either they didn't execute it very well, or you were assertive 🙂 

Cheers Paul, to be completely honest I do think they were genuine. When I told them I couldnt give them a refund there and then, they did agree. My only issue is as Pete mentioned in an earlier response in this thread; they never cancelled, so they have the right of review. Im fairly new to Airbnb, and a bad review in my first couple could severly damage my reputation.

@Jason720   " she claimed that she had spoken to someone at Airbnb support saying that she should come and speak to me regarding the matter"

Wow!   Do you know that for a fact?

I would push for Airbnb to refund them out of its pocket having failed to tell the guests that it was their responsibility to cancel and outsourcing the problem to you.

Exactly my thoughts, felt a bit unprofessional to me

Julie143
Level 10
Princeton, NJ

I don’t think it’s possible to book two places at the same time. The system would prompt you to cancel the first one, before booking the other. I experienced that once as a guest, though it was 2 years ago.

Unless she means they booked a hotel or some other platform?

My booking still stood, so thats what Im asuming, that they went to a hotel. I didnt want to engage them in too much conversation though, just wanted them off my property.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

FWIW "Reviews that do not represent the author’s personal experience or that of their travel companions" are against Airbnb's content policy, as are "Reviews motivated by a threat of extortion" so if they want to leave you a negative review that you can't get removed they are not going to have much to say. However I probably would just give them the refund. Plus you can review them appropriately with a thumbs down to help other hosts avoid these flakes.